ROXIO does NOT SEE my DVD burner

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I have ROXIO 6.1.1 installed on an HP xw4200 workstation desktop. ROXIO does NOT SEE the DVD burner, only sees the CD burner. Ive backed up a movie using DVD Shrink but CANT burn it since ROXIO doesnt see the DVD drive. The drivers under device manager show ROXIO origins and the file backed up fine from the DVD drive. Im using XP Pro and some fast hardware but cant determine why ROXIO only defaults to my D: Drive CD burner and does not even see the E: Drive DVD burner. Any ideas?

pat

Expert
upgrading either roxio or the firmware should have your burner to be recognized in your burning program.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

grecai63

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Sorry Pat, I have to disagree with you.
I have a Pioneer DVR 107d ver 1.18 using Roxio 6, supplied with burner.
DVD will read dvd + / -. However in the last few days it will not read DVD + / - RW disks. When it did from the start, 6 months old burner.
Drive is on IDE 2 & master.
I downloaded the latest version of firmware from Pioneer. Now when I try to install the firmware using a boot disk, I receive a message "No drive found". So I am wondering what is going on?

pat

Expert
I dont really understand why you need a boot disk to flash the DVD firmware. Unless Pionner use a tricky method, but all of my DVD writers and CD have been flashed from windows.

pat

Expert
oh, and by the way, what brand of drive you have? and what motherboard you have that dvd plugged in?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I could write three pages explaining why, but I would rather you just take my work for it.

Roxio is not a reliable product, and patches are just as likely to add problems as to fix them.

Also Roxio doesn't play well with others. Simply having it installed is known to cause problems.

Adaptec dump Easy CD Creator for the same reasons IBM dumped its hard drive business.

To those who use Roxio with no problmes, I say rejoice in its easy to use interface. To everyone else I say dump it immediately and switch to Nero.