Sign in with
Your question

Duel Channel Confusion

Last response: in Memory
February 3, 2005 12:30:19 AM

Hello, I have been reading all the past posts about adding a 3rd memory module to a duel channel set up, and I am still confused. I have an Abit NF-7 S version 2.0 (n-force 2 chipset) running Corsair Twin XMS (2x256). I want to get up to a gig of ram for gamming, and from what I have read, since I have N-force 2 chipset I can still run duel channel with a 3rd stick.

Does the 3rd stick run at single or normal channel while the other continues at duel channel? If so, does it bring down the speed of the ram? Would I notice much improvement?

I am pretty new about how ram exactly works, and before I buy more memory, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for the help.

More about : duel channel confusion

a b } Memory
February 3, 2005 2:21:11 AM

Yes, the NF2 chipsets that support dual-channel do so with 2 separate channels rather than 2 combined channels, so it's possible. 2 of the modules fill one channel, the other module fills the other channel. I'd put the two smaller modules on the first channel and the big one on the second.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 4, 2005 12:37:12 AM

Thank you for your response.

Can you tell me if the single module would run at normal speed (not duel channel), and if I would notice a major performance decrease in speed. It would cost me $100+ more to go to 2 sticks of 512 rather than adding just one stick of 512 to my system. I am not sure if there is a big difference in performance to warrent the money.

Thanks again for your time.
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 4, 2005 1:16:49 AM

I'm not certain you're following me:
1.) Because your chipset uses 2 individual channels rather than 2 combined channels for dual-channel mode, you CAN run dual-channel with 3 sticks
2.) If you buy a single 512MB stick, and add it to your two 256MB sticks, you can have dual-channel AND 1GB of RAM.

Ok, now if you didn't have it in dual-channel mode, you still wouldn't notice a performance decrease, because the performance difference at most in your situation is around 3%. Socket 462 (Socket A) processors didn't have a bus capable of effectively utilizing the added bandwidth dual-channel provides, hence dual-channel gave such systems minimal performance gains.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 4, 2005 2:04:35 AM

gotcha, I am pretty sure I understand it now.

Thanks Crashman
!