Switching from Sony to Palm

a b } Memory
September 25, 2004 6:00:32 AM

Hi all,

I presently have a Sony SJ30 which I hope will survive for some time
to come. When this unit finally gives up the ghost, I doubt I will be
able to buy a new Sony in the USA. So, the memory stick will be out
and I will be moving to SD most likely.

Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a new
Zire for example) recognize those files? BTW, these are only data
files (ebooks and dictionary databases, jpegs, etc.). From what I can
tell, the directly structure seems to be the same for Sony and Palm
memory cards, but maybe there are critical hidden files that I am not
aware of? Anyway, would appreciate any feedback from those who have
made such a transition from Sony to Palm. Thanks!

--
krewl

More about : switching sony palm

September 27, 2004 3:16:24 PM

krewl [krewl@invalid.com][f9cal0phebps5s1d84rj5dgbv8a9nmb16u@4ax.com]:
|| Hi all,
|| I presently have a Sony SJ30 which I hope will survive for some time
|| to come. When this unit finally gives up the ghost, I doubt I will be
|| able to buy a new Sony in the USA. So, the memory stick will be out
|| and I will be moving to SD most likely.
|| Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
|| PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a
|| new Zire for example) recognize those files? BTW, these are only data
|| files (ebooks and dictionary databases, jpegs, etc.). From what I can
|| tell, the directly structure seems to be the same for Sony and Palm
|| memory cards, but maybe there are critical hidden files that I am not
|| aware of? Anyway, would appreciate any feedback from those who have
|| made such a transition from Sony to Palm. Thanks!

I would let the Palm format the SD card to its standards, then move the
files from the MS via PC to the new folders on the SD card. If you treat
your books, images, etc, in separate steps, no system files will be touched.
(And I would not use BackupBuddy or similar programs in moving from one
device to another.)

Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 27, 2004 3:16:25 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:16:24 GMT, "1010011010"
<i.love.spam@darpa.gov.mil> wrote:

>krewl [krewl@invalid.com][f9cal0phebps5s1d84rj5dgbv8a9nmb16u@4ax.com]:
>|| Hi all,
>|| I presently have a Sony SJ30 which I hope will survive for some time
>|| to come. When this unit finally gives up the ghost, I doubt I will be
>|| able to buy a new Sony in the USA. So, the memory stick will be out
>|| and I will be moving to SD most likely.
>|| Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
>|| PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a
>|| new Zire for example) recognize those files? BTW, these are only data
>|| files (ebooks and dictionary databases, jpegs, etc.). From what I can
>|| tell, the directly structure seems to be the same for Sony and Palm
>|| memory cards, but maybe there are critical hidden files that I am not
>|| aware of? Anyway, would appreciate any feedback from those who have
>|| made such a transition from Sony to Palm. Thanks!
>

>I would let the Palm format the SD card to its standards, then move the
>files from the MS via PC to the new folders on the SD card. If you treat
>your books, images, etc, in separate steps, no system files will be touched.
>(And I would not use BackupBuddy or similar programs in moving from one
>device to another.)
>
>Regards,
>Martin

Sounds like the solution. Thanks Martin!
a b } Memory
September 27, 2004 4:18:48 PM

> to come. When this unit finally gives up the ghost, I doubt I will be
> able to buy a new Sony in the USA. So, the memory stick will be out
> and I will be moving to SD most likely.

why not? www.conics.net www.dynamism.com www.japan-direct.com all
export anything in Japan to you in the USA, even that latest & greatest
MPEG-4 PEG-VZ90 Palm/PDA
http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PEG/PEG-VZ90/index...

> Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
> PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a new
> Zire for example) recognize those files? BTW, these are only data

Should work fine.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 27, 2004 6:22:46 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:18:48 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:

>> to come. When this unit finally gives up the ghost, I doubt I will be
>> able to buy a new Sony in the USA. So, the memory stick will be out
>> and I will be moving to SD most likely.
>
> why not? www.conics.net www.dynamism.com www.japan-direct.com all
>export anything in Japan to you in the USA, even that latest & greatest
>MPEG-4 PEG-VZ90 Palm/PDA
>http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/PEG/PEG-VZ90/index...
>
>> Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
>> PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a new
>> Zire for example) recognize those files? BTW, these are only data
>
> Should work fine.

Thanks!
October 1, 2004 4:53:09 AM

Snip

> Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
> PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a new
> Zire for example) recognize those files?

It depends on which Palm model you use. If you happen to go with a
Tungsten E or another model that uses the newer pim apps (Contacts
instead of Addresses, etc.) you might have problems.
I tested out several different models this last spring, including
Zire, T/E, and 2 sony models. I did successfully move data back and
forth between models.
No it wasn't as easy as it could have been (don't remember exactly
what the problems were), but it worked and I lost not data.
I think that there may be some proprietary files that are specific to
Palm vs. Sony but if you only copy data files, or even app files you
should be ok. Just try to make sure that there are no Sony specific
files that get transferred.
Here's what I'd do;
Either backup the sony to the pc or back it up onto the memory stick
and copy to the pc via card reader.
Format the sd card in the palm.
Copy the data from the pc to the sd card via card reader.
I would install the Palm desktop files and make sure that you have an
empty backup directory so only the most basic palm files get installed
with the first hotsync. Hotsync the new palm with a fresh software
install. That will get all the palm software on the palm and will set
it to you hotsync name.
I would then copy individual files or apps from the sd card into the
palm's ram.
I like using the program "inwatch" and monitor each app installation,
if possible. That way if there is a problem you can put the palm
exactly back to where it was prior to the installation of a given app.
What you should end up with is a clean and smokin' new pda with few
problems.
Also, be careful of old apps that may not work with a newer os.

Good luck.
Shawn
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 1, 2004 4:59:58 AM

On 1 Oct 2004 00:53:09 -0700, Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz (Shawn)
wrote:

>Snip
>
>> Question is: If I copy the entire contents of my Memory Stick to my
>> PC, then drag and drop to an SD card, will a current Palm model (a new
>> Zire for example) recognize those files?
>
>It depends on which Palm model you use. If you happen to go with a
>Tungsten E or another model that uses the newer pim apps (Contacts
>instead of Addresses, etc.) you might have problems.
>I tested out several different models this last spring, including
>Zire, T/E, and 2 sony models. I did successfully move data back and
>forth between models.
>No it wasn't as easy as it could have been (don't remember exactly
>what the problems were), but it worked and I lost not data.
>I think that there may be some proprietary files that are specific to
>Palm vs. Sony but if you only copy data files, or even app files you
>should be ok. Just try to make sure that there are no Sony specific
>files that get transferred.
>Here's what I'd do;
>Either backup the sony to the pc or back it up onto the memory stick
>and copy to the pc via card reader.
>Format the sd card in the palm.
>Copy the data from the pc to the sd card via card reader.
>I would install the Palm desktop files and make sure that you have an
>empty backup directory so only the most basic palm files get installed
>with the first hotsync. Hotsync the new palm with a fresh software
>install. That will get all the palm software on the palm and will set
>it to you hotsync name.
>I would then copy individual files or apps from the sd card into the
>palm's ram.
>I like using the program "inwatch" and monitor each app installation,
>if possible. That way if there is a problem you can put the palm
>exactly back to where it was prior to the installation of a given app.
>What you should end up with is a clean and smokin' new pda with few
>problems.
>Also, be careful of old apps that may not work with a newer os.
>
>Good luck.
>Shawn

Thanks Shawn! Your suggestions are VERY helpful and good sound advice.
I will keep a copy of this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

--
krewl
!