Seagate's Rattlebox !!!

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
I almost bought the Seagate Barracuda S-ata (8mb) Serial Drive today, but luckily I had a close listen to it when undergoing a common Defrag... My god this thing is a rattle box to say the least, much noisier that the IDE 2 Mb. previous versions ...

Your Opions please...

I will try and wait for the S-ATA 2 that is bound to come out soon , hopefully with noise reductions ...

Kind Regards,
Ralph Honsbeek

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think Seagate has any plans to physically change the 7K250 drives, ATA, SATA, or SATA2 should all make about the same noise so long as the mechanics are the same.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Bet my Raptor is louder. Its not too bad durring normal operations, but when HD tach gets to the random read test...

Same with defragging, lots of non-sequential reads = lots of noise.

Of course I can barely hear that over the noise from my Zalman video card fan. An stray IDE cable grazed it and it went from whisper quiet to the loudest fan in my case!

PS if it is very loud whenever it is spinning and vibrates then it has a bad motor and you should have it replaced.