Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have a friends compute that had this nasty worm I would hope to do this
without re-installing Windows. I have rid the worm from the system but it
has done some damaged. I think most of the damage will be fixed if I can
install SP2 again but programs like update.exe etc. are being block from
running.

Any ideas on how to unblock update.exe?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Never mind sorry to bother everyone.

Logging in as another person did the trick.

"Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
>I have a friends compute that had this nasty worm I would hope to do this
>without re-installing Windows. I have rid the worm from the system but it
>has done some damaged. I think most of the damage will be fixed if I can
>install SP2 again but programs like update.exe etc. are being block from
>running.
>
> Any ideas on how to unblock update.exe?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hi,

You may not be finished with the cleanup. Update.exe is often a file name
used by malware. I suspect that you are not fully clean.

Free virus removal tools:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Best to run these in Safe mode in order to avoid interference from an active
bug.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick wrote:
> I have a friends compute that had this nasty worm I would hope to do
> this without re-installing Windows. I have rid the worm from the
> system but it has done some damaged. I think most of the damage will
> be fixed if I can install SP2 again but programs like update.exe etc.
> are being block from running.
>
> Any ideas on how to unblock update.exe?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!!!

With a cinnamon raisin bagel, I like to have plain cream cheese, but
with an everything bagel, I've switch back and forth between butter and
vegetable cream cheese. I like pumpernickel bagels switching between
all three toppings.

HTH!

--
Peace!
Kurt

You will never fix a virus infection by installing a Service Pack. The way
to fix it is to reinstall the operating system. Other ways are by using
retail stuff. Good luck.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
> I have a friends compute that had this nasty worm I would hope to do this
> without re-installing Windows. I have rid the worm from the system but it
> has done some damaged. I think most of the damage will be fixed if I can
> install SP2 again but programs like update.exe etc. are being block from
> running.
>
> Any ideas on how to unblock update.exe?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!!!

Beagle I believe isn't it?

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester wrote:
> Beagle I believe isn't it?

Oh, I like my beagles with cream cheese too!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Why don't you have antivirus installed, updated and running?