malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I purchased a new Belkin F6C900 a few days ago. After running for a couple of hours, I noticed that the front of the case where the battery is located is a bit warm. I figured its probably because the battery is getting charged. However even after it shows 100% charged its still warm. I think the battery is constantly being charged. I also noticed some "smell" - pretty hard to describe (plastic, paint?). I haven't used this type of UPS before so I complained and the retailer replaced the unit. To my suprise this replacement is behaving exactly the same. The load is not much at all - 10 - 15 % load.

Is it normal for this type of UPS to be warm ?
Is the smell normal for new installations ?
Is it normal for the battery to be constantly charging?

Thanks.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Some smell when warming up, that's just plastic melting slightly from heat. It IS normal for it to allways be changing, and you should fully deplete and recherge every once and a while. You should get a differential diagnosis and make sure it's not toxic glue melting.

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks. I decided to return the unit this afternoon. I now have an APC BN 1050 VA - no smells and working fine. No hot or warm temperature either and the software is more user friendly. I am very disappointed with Belkin support too - they don't seem to know their own product very well - or maybe they are pretending not to. I won't recommend a Belkin UPS to anyone.

dudleysirius

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Has anyone else had this experience with any UPS'?

I bought an APC BX900 UPS (XS Series 900VA) Battery Backup in early November. Per instructions, I left it plugged in for a day before connecting anything. It's fan ran continuously even when nothing was connected to it and it emitted caustic-smelling fumes. I gave it a few days before giving up and calling APC. When I told the tech support rep that I could hear the fan running after it was off and nothing was connected, she ordered a replacement unit.

The replacement arrived, the original has been sent back. The replacement is exhibiting behavior identical to the original. Fan runs anytime the unit is plugged in, foul smell emitted.

I am wondering if this is by design or a defect.

JK in LA

Jimmmmmm

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
My name is Jim and I purchased an APC UPS on 1-17-11. The model # is BX900R-CN Series XS. As I was removing it from the carton I detected a smell. When I took it out of the plastic bag, the smell was quite caustic. I thought it would go away but when I plugged it in and the fan started, it got worse. So mush so that it has caused my nose to be sore and me to cough all the time I'm near the computer. Both of my cats who always sit near me will no longer come in my office.
I contacted APC and they authorized my returning the UPS for a new one. The new one arrived on 1-21-11 and the smell is still present but not as bad as the first unit. It is an out-gassing of some sort and makes sitting by the computer quite difficult. I am now concerned about a health issue as I'm constantly coughing. My neighbor who is an Electrical Engineer says it smells like formaldehyde and that I shouldn't be around it. I am now making arrangements to return the second one. My throat and nose are continuing issues.

Buildupgilbert

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Its normal to an extent. I have tried many ups and almost every piece has this issue, except the lower watt ones. In my case the smell only lasts few minutes once the power is out. Once the fan stop spinning, the smell disappears.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is almost 11 years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw