XP SP2 download fails

Windows automatic update identifies SP2 as a high priority update. When
selected for download, after a short timeframe a failed to download error
message appears. The error code is 0x800703E7. I think this message relates
to a license issue. The version of XP Pro with SP1 is legitimate and has
been in use for a year on an HP desktop. Other automatic updates occur
regularly. There is several gigabytes of free space on the disk. The
internet connection is highspeed broadband through a cable modem. I have
today tried the download with all antivirus, spyware, and firewall software
disabled. Still no success.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about download fails

    Peggy,

    I can't answer your question as to why you are having trouble downloading
    SP2 from the Windows Update site but you can obtain an XP SP2 cd from your
    local COMPUSA free of charge.

    "Peggy Bishop" wrote:

    > Windows automatic update identifies SP2 as a high priority update. When
    > selected for download, after a short timeframe a failed to download error
    > message appears. The error code is 0x800703E7. I think this message relates
    > to a license issue. The version of XP Pro with SP1 is legitimate and has
    > been in use for a year on an HP desktop. Other automatic updates occur
    > regularly. There is several gigabytes of free space on the disk. The
    > internet connection is highspeed broadband through a cable modem. I have
    > today tried the download with all antivirus, spyware, and firewall software
    > disabled. Still no success.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Do you have problems with any other downloads, particularly large one's?
    Since you're getting the updates and they're installing OK - I wouldn't
    suspect the Windows Update site or the settings on your Windows Update.

    Have you tried to navigate to the Windows Catalog and download SP2 from
    there? Do you get the same error message?

    Also, try this link for more information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=a4d195f2-b311-4f06-bce4-838596a40705

    Peggy Bishop wrote:

    > Windows automatic update identifies SP2 as a high priority update. When
    > selected for download, after a short timeframe a failed to download error
    > message appears. The error code is 0x800703E7. I think this message relates
    > to a license issue. The version of XP Pro with SP1 is legitimate and has
    > been in use for a year on an HP desktop. Other automatic updates occur
    > regularly. There is several gigabytes of free space on the disk. The
    > internet connection is highspeed broadband through a cable modem. I have
    > today tried the download with all antivirus, spyware, and firewall software
    > disabled. Still no success.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Get a free copy of the SP2 CD from one of your local Office Supply or
    computer stores. Another option is to order the free CD from MS. It
    only takes a few days:

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx

    Installing Service Packs
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    Pre-Install, Install, Cleaning Up Afterwards

    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
    Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837783

    Free Technical Support for SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=18&y=6&c1=509&gprid=6794&

    --