double set of folders

I just installed XP Pro - SP2 on a new PC I've built. When I went to
copy my Outlook mail folders from my old PC to new one, I saw strange
folder names.

Under Documents and Settings I have:

All Users
All Users.Windows
Cathy (that's me)
Cathy.CATHY-ATHLON-64
Default User
Default User.WINDOWS
LocalService
LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
NetworkService
NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY

I've never seen folder names like these with the .WINDOWS .NT AUTHORITY
Appendage.

The computer name is CATHY-ATHLON-64.
I am an administrator on the PC, and I log in as Cathy. Yet all of the
files related to install are under Cathy.CATHY-ATHLON-64. I've only
installed Office 2003, Mozilla, Firefox and some system applications.
Everything is under Cathy.CATHY-ATHLON-64.(Application Data, Cookies,
Favorites,etc.)

Under Documents and Settings/Cathy there is a Cathy's Documents folder -
only contains system Cathy's Pictures and Cathy's Music, otherwise it's
empty.
Under Documents and Settings/Cathy.CATHY-ATHLON-64 there is a My
Documents folder - with My Music, My Pictures, and the 4 files I've
saved to My Documetns folder.

In addition to these folders oddity, what about all of the other
'duplicate' names for folders? All Users.Windows, LocalService.NT
AUTHORITY......

I had XP SP1 installed on old PC, never had these folders. Is this SP2??

Thanks for any help. I'm starting to feel like I'm hallucinating.

Ck

Sounds like you installed the OS twice.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick wrote:

> Sounds like you installed the OS twice.

As a matter of fact, I did. However when I reinstalled, I told it to do
a 'new' install. I thought that would overwrite everything on the hard
drive...???

On my last PC I had to install XP 4 - 5 times, and I never got the
strange folder names... Any idea why it would give the strange names now
when it didn't do so in the past? Is it related to SP2? Or is it cuz I
made this PC NTFS, and my old one was FAT32?

This is typical of a repair install.

To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en