ed_jacobson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Hello, I am looking to build an AMD 64 3000+ Winchester system with a PCI-Express (non SLI) mobo. I want to get into this system for around $800, so I'm looking to get the basics now, and upgrade slightly in the next year. For example, I'm thinking of getting 512MB of RAM and a single hard drive now, and upgrading to a gig of RAM and a second hard drive within the next year. Mostly used for regular home computing, some video and photo editing, and modest gaming. Not an OCer, want stability. I'm looking for RAM in the $75 to $90 range for a half gig...possibly Corsair Value, OCZ premier, or possibly up to the Patriot or OCZ low latency modules, but those are just a bit pricey, especially if I want to buy a full gig now.

Since I want dual channel, my original thought was to get 2x 256MB at the outset, and add a second pair later. However, I've read that the nForce4 chipset doesn't like all four DIMMs populated for some bizarre reason and won't operate in dual channel mode. So I'm wondering if it would be better to get a single stick of 512MB now, and add a second later. I see some manufacturers sell two-stick kits intended to be used in dual channel mode. Is there any problem with buying a single stick now, and adding a second later (same brand, speed, etc), and having it work in dual channel? This might enable me to stretch to the low latency stuff, but perhaps that isn't that important since I don't expect to OC.

Or would I be better off just biting the bullet and getting the full 2x512 now, even if that means going for the value RAM in the $140 range?

So, I guess my questions are: (1) is there a real problem with populating all four DIMMs, which means I shouldn't buy 4x256MB; and (2) if 4x256MB isn't an option, given my budget limitations and if in the long run I want a gig of RAM in dual channel mode, would I be better off buying a single 512MB stick now for around $80-$90 and add a second later, or should I buy 2x512MB of value RAM for around $150?

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Crashman mentioned that nforce2 has a problem with 4 DIMMS being populated. Maybe this problem extends to nforce4 chipset.

In anycase, yes you can buy a 512MB stick now, and upgrade another 512MB stick later, even a different brand is ok. It's best that when you buy a second module to match #chips/side, and match the latency and memory size/speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually the A64 has problems with 4 banks, look at all the recommended configurations. Nothing to do with the nForce2 or any other chipset. nForce3 150 and K8T800 seemed worse at stabilizing the system than the nForce3 250, SiS 755, and nForce4, but really the problem exist with the memory controller itself (on the CPU) and the chipset can do only a little to compensate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>