What's the difference between...

This may seem elementary, but since I don't know, I need to ask. What is the
difference between reformat, reinstall, and clean install? And do all of
these options require reinstalling all programs? Currently using XP Pro w/SP1
and downloaded SP2. OS is trashed, but hanging on to the hope we'll be able
to recover some of the files from the hard drive. Have considered getting a
new hard drive (external or internal) then start from there with possibly
adding the old HD as a 2nd. All salvage methods have been tried and failed,
so we know we need to get XP loaded as a starting point. From a command
prompt using chkdsk got message that 1 or more unrecoverable problems
existed. I guess ultimately I need someone's best guess on how to proceed
realizing I need to try to at some point recover some files from the old
drive. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about what difference between

    ryjack wrote:

    > This may seem elementary, but since I don't know, I need to ask. What is the
    > difference between reformat, reinstall, and clean install? And do all of
    > these options require reinstalling all programs? Currently using XP Pro w/SP1
    > and downloaded SP2. OS is trashed, but hanging on to the hope we'll be able
    > to recover some of the files from the hard drive. Have considered getting a
    > new hard drive (external or internal) then start from there with possibly
    > adding the old HD as a 2nd. All salvage methods have been tried and failed,
    > so we know we need to get XP loaded as a starting point. From a command
    > prompt using chkdsk got message that 1 or more unrecoverable problems
    > existed. I guess ultimately I need someone's best guess on how to proceed
    > realizing I need to try to at some point recover some files from the old
    > drive. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

    You really haven't given much information for troubleshooting. First
    recover the data from the drive. Try installing it as a slave drive in
    another XP or Win2k computer and if the drive is readable, copy the data
    that way. If you try that and the drive is not accessible as a slave
    drive the next step is to decide just how important the data is. If
    it's very important contact one of the data recovery companies such as
    www.ontrack.com or www.drivesavers.com. They are not cheap but very good.

    Check the condition of the drive using a drive diagnostic utility from
    the hard drive manufacturer's web site.

    Since you didn't give any information on what "salvage methods have been
    tried and failed", I don't know if you've tried running chkdsk from the
    recovery console as chkdsk /p. Only try this after you've recovered any
    data from the drive.

    Another option to read the drive and salvage it is Gibson Research's
    spinrite, www.grc.com.

    As to your questions, there are two types of installs, a repair install
    aka in place upgrade which repairs installs the OS over itself. This
    should preserve any data and installed programs. Note however that if
    the disk is not readable as above, then a repair install is not going to
    work.

    See this link for info on a repair install:

    A clean install removes all data and programs from the drive and
    installs XP fresh. During the process of the install with your
    problems, you should delete the current partition and create a new raw
    one, format it, then install windows.

    See this link for info on a clean install:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Drives have partitions - essentially like cutting pieces of a pie. A
    partition
    can take 100% of a drive or a portion. By default drives can have up to
    4 Primary partitions (Drives with Letters). A reformat means taking an
    existing partition and erasing it's data, like wiping a slate. It's size and
    it's
    position on the drive remain untouched.
    A re-install can mean several things. A repair install overlays XP to an
    "Original" state while preserving the programs, accounts and personal
    data that is already in place.
    A Clean install means to take a drive ( Partition ) , format it to either
    FAT32
    or NTFS and do a complete/full XP install.

    Before you do any of the above, you really should attempt to backup
    your data. There are a number of ways to do this. Physically, you could
    install the drive in a Working XP machine and using a CD/DVD burner
    backup your data. Also, you could image the entire XP partition using a
    Imaging program, such as Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image.

    The key to your situation is to think it out. Many times when faced with
    this unbootable PC, users take hasty actions that eventually can cause a
    100% loss of data.

    "ryjack" <ryjack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This may seem elementary, but since I don't know, I need to ask. What is
    > the
    > difference between reformat, reinstall, and clean install? And do all of
    > these options require reinstalling all programs? Currently using XP Pro
    > w/SP1
    > and downloaded SP2. OS is trashed, but hanging on to the hope we'll be
    > able
    > to recover some of the files from the hard drive. Have considered getting
    > new hard drive (external or internal) then start from there with possibly
    > adding the old HD as a 2nd. All salvage methods have been tried and
    > failed,
    > so we know we need to get XP loaded as a starting point. From a command
    > prompt using chkdsk got message that 1 or more unrecoverable problems
    > existed. I guess ultimately I need someone's best guess on how to proceed
    > realizing I need to try to at some point recover some files from the old
    > drive. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

    1. Reformat - Fdisk/Format cleans your hard drive (operating system and
    data).
    2. Reinstall - Assuming you mean repair install. If so, some updates will
    need to be replaced.
    3. Clean Install - Similar to #1 but not as extreme.

    Tips for round 2: Allocate at least 15g for the operating system, then
    store everything else in other partitions and/or another drive.

    Good luck!
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    R. McCarty wrote:

    > Drives have partitions - essentially like cutting pieces of a pie. A
    >partition
    >can take 100% of a drive or a portion. By default drives can have up to
    >4 Primary partitions (Drives with Letters). A reformat means taking an
    >existing partition and erasing it's data, like wiping a slate. It's size and
    >it's
    >position on the drive remain untouched.
    > A re-install can mean several things. A repair install overlays XP to an
    >"Original" state while preserving the programs, accounts and personal
    >data that is already in place.
    > A Clean install means to take a drive ( Partition ) , format it to either
    >FAT32
    >or NTFS and do a complete/full XP install.
    >
    >Before you do any of the above, you really should attempt to backup
    >your data. There are a number of ways to do this. Physically, you could
    >install the drive in a Working XP machine and using a CD/DVD burner
    >backup your data. Also, you could image the entire XP partition using a
    >Imaging program, such as Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image.
    >
    >The key to your situation is to think it out. Many times when faced with
    >this unbootable PC, users take hasty actions that eventually can cause a
    >100% loss of data.
    >
    >"ryjack" <ryjack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>This may seem elementary, but since I don't know, I need to ask. What is
    >>the
    >>difference between reformat, reinstall, and clean install? And do all of
    >>these options require reinstalling all programs? Currently using XP Pro
    >>w/SP1
    >>and downloaded SP2. OS is trashed, but hanging on to the hope we'll be
    >>able
    >>to recover some of the files from the hard drive. Have considered getting
    >>new hard drive (external or internal) then start from there with possibly
    >>adding the old HD as a 2nd. All salvage methods have been tried and
    >>failed,
    >>so we know we need to get XP loaded as a starting point. From a command
    >>prompt using chkdsk got message that 1 or more unrecoverable problems
    >>existed. I guess ultimately I need someone's best guess on how to proceed
    >>realizing I need to try to at some point recover some files from the old
    >>drive. Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

    Can XP be installed on a FAT32 formatted HDD like Win2K???

    The PC froze after deleting several malware and Trojans. Shutdown, wouldn’t
    restart. Doesn’t read CD drive, but does see the DVD and floppy drives.
    Things tried include “how to get to system restore when you can’t boot� “how
    to repair corrupted registry from a command prompt� resource disk,
    diagnostics. After loading the proper 6 start up disks, I chose the “R�
    option. Looked like everything was going normal, then a dialogue box popped
    up with an Lsass system error, something about trying to update password
    being invalid. (no passwords were ever assigned). and that’s where we are. It
    just keeps recycling over and over. I read that this is sort of typical
    behavior for the sasser worm. Anyway, all attempts to do anything further
    gets the same result…this Lsass error. Trying the 6 disks again, gains me
    nothing, so choosing “R� here only gets me to where I was. Screen keeps
    displaying F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. I was able to use the
    resource disk and ran diagnostics which indicated everything passed. Whatever
    that means.

    Then I thought I’d try to take the HD from this machine and install it to a
    different computer. This 2nd computer only has Windows XP installed. No other
    software. Swapped the hard drives. The exact same thing happened on the 2nd
    machine (Lsass error). I tried every F8 option and still the error. I did run
    chkdsk as mentioned in my 1st post and got back “one or more unrecoverable
    problems exist�. Is it normal for the clean computer to not recognize the
    hard drive? Or is it because the hard drive is only linked to the screwed up
    OS?

    Reading thru all of the terrific stuff you all have provided so far, I hope
    you can work me thru the slave idea on the 2nd computer. I thought of trying
    this, but not sure what I need to do it. Obviously I have 2 internal hard
    drives.(willing to buy an external if that makes sense) What cables do I need
    for a 2nd? I’d set the bad drive as the slave. Windows will run via the good
    drive, but what will occur if I try to access files on the bad drive? Will I
    be able to? FAT v NTFS? How do I know which? I have all original disks that
    came with the Dell system. I’ll go have a look at the various links you all
    shared. Thanks.

    "Willard" <guess@msn.invalid> wrote in message

    > Can XP be installed on a FAT32 formatted HDD like Win2K???

    yes

Windows XP