Sign in with
Your question

Whats the Best gaming 24" LCD monitor ever?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 31, 2008 7:07:24 PM

Finally im going to buy an LCD, but I need to know, whats the best 24" lcd ever created for gaming according to pro techs reviews. Money is not an issue.
February 1, 2008 12:46:04 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, Rick. I think it depends upon your time frame. I plan on waiting a couple months for Dell's new 2408wfp. Possibly even rev. A01 if there are bugs in the initial release.

I'm really curious to see if display port has any benefits, such as reduced image lag.
February 1, 2008 5:06:52 PM

Trinitron Artisan?
You can also try seimens' Medical grade LCDs.
I like sun.
Didn't THG do an article about this a while ago? The thing cost like 20 grand...
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
February 1, 2008 6:39:55 PM

surrealdeal said:
Trinitron Artisan?
You can also try seimens' Medical grade LCDs.
I like sun.
Didn't THG do an article about this a while ago? The thing cost like 20 grand...

You statement is meanless. Medical grade LCDs are expensive because they fit a niche market that demands image precision and color accuracy. Just because "low end" medical grade LCDs start at around $6,000 and can cost up to $30,0000 does not automatically mean they will have reduced image lag. On the contrary, they typically display static images so lag and response times are not even important for these types of LCD monitors.
February 5, 2008 2:51:33 PM

bigships said:
I'm in the same boat as you, Rick. I think it depends upon your time frame. I plan on waiting a couple months for Dell's new 2408wfp. Possibly even rev. A01 if there are bugs in the initial release.

I'm really curious to see if display port has any benefits, such as reduced image lag.

If money is not an issue then thats the breadwinner right there. But it's not cheap, but you'll get your moneys worth. I personally went with a Westy L2140NM. I'm on a budget but PC wise it's excellent for my games. I don't have any new generation consoles so I can't really say too much on the other inputs. I do have a PS2 and XBOX hooked up. Looks sharper in the flat tube TV, but I kind of expected it to look a little distorted/choppy. The PS2 through composite is quite bad though. But I believe its just the whole LCD monitor vs TV deal with aspect ratios and resolutions etc.
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2008 3:27:08 PM

To the OP:

Basically you'll get various opinions. Some say that the Dell 2407W-HC is a great gaming monitor, but other complain about inverse color ghosting images which is even worse than "normal ghosting". Basically what that means is black will appear as white, blue will appear as red, etc., for the ghost image.

People seem to like the Benq FP241W especially with all the video input options. I know of no major issues off the top of my head. This was one monitors I was considering before purchasing the NEC LCD2690WUXi.

Another monitor you may want to consider is the BenQ FP241VW. It uses a different panel than the FP241W (A-MVA) which is capable of BFI (Black Frame Insertion) that is supposed to imitate the "look and feel" of a CRT monitor by inserting black frames to improve image quality. This was done with the FP241WZ monitor, but the WZ model has been discontinued by BenQ. Apparently BFI tech didn't improve image quality across the board; in some case image quality looked better with BFI turned off, and in other case image quality did seem to improve when using one oout of the four settings. The FP241VW does not implement BFI to the best of my knowledge.

If i was in the market for a 24" LCD monitor right now, I would most likely purchase the NEC LCD2490WUXi for around $1100 - $1200. It uses a H-IPS panel which is designed for color accuracy and wide angle viewing. it isn't specifically geared towards gamers though. However, for an additional $100 - $200 I could just pick up another NEC LCD2690WUXi; again not specifically designed for gaming, but it can handle games pretty well.
February 11, 2008 3:48:28 AM

I'm in the market for a 24" monitor. I read all these posts about IPS/ S-PVA/TN panels and I understand that IPS is supposedly the best while PVA if good and pretty much avoid the TN's. I would like to get a monitor with a pva panel in it but I can never find out what monitor has what. I don't have an unlimited budget, basically under 500 which limits me to mostly tn panels. So here are my questions

1st How can I tell what type of panel a monitor has?

2nd What is the least expensive pva monitor out there?

3rd If I have to go with a tn panel for monetary issues which one should I get?
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2008 5:07:24 AM

You won't find anything but a TN for $500, but for $550 you can get PVA

The easiest way to figure out the type of panel is to look at the viewing angles; 170 and below is TN, 176 is PVA, 178 is IPS. This holds true 99% of the time. I've seen TN panels listed with 176 degree viewing angles which is an out right lie, however these are also always listed with 2ms response times which tells you it is TN.

PVA and IPS panels won't list response times lower than 5ms. Some TN panels are 5ms but they will list their viewing angle as 170 or less.

Remember that a TN's response time of 2ms only holds true gray to gray, for black to white they are about the same as PVA and IPS.

I have a sheet of paper with a 0ms gray to gray response time.
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2008 7:02:18 PM

bryan240g said:
Go here check out this link it is one of the best gaming 24" out there. I just got mine yesterday.
http://www.gateway.com/retail/fhd2400.php

You should probably have mentioned this is a TN panel.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2008 6:11:21 AM

No worries, most people will be happy with TN. That's why the industry is switching to it. There's no point in charging everyone for something only a few people notice.

The disturbing thing is that the big manufacturers are replacing their VA panels with TN and yet charging the same amount. It's also annoying to see a lot of good industrial design going into the TN panels and nada into the VA and IPS panels.
February 28, 2008 11:51:33 PM

There are a couple MVA panels on the market right now for under 400

2 notables are the westinghouse 24 inch inch best buy has this for 350 right now.

and the LG L245WP-BN Black 24" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ USB 2.0 and HDCP support 500 cd/m2 1000:1 -

circuit city had this on sale they had 3 of them left in the back room that werent on display for 305.

from the brief time i looked at both monitors color quality seemed to be much better on the westinghouse. The LG seemed dull and washed out to me while the westinghouse looked much better. Granted neither of these monitors are perfect but you cant expect as much from a 24 inch lcd in this price range.

I am ordering the westinghouse tonight. Hopefully it ends up being a suitable gaming monitor. I decided to pass on the LG as the colors seemed too drab and lifeless and I couldnt seem to get a good color and brightness mix while messing around with the monitor in the store. Ive heard the Westinghouse does exhibit some buzzing on lower brightness settings but I didnt experience this while I was viewing it.
February 29, 2008 3:07:05 AM

I almost got the westinghouse but I didn't want to shut the monitor of ever time I left the room. It has no DVI just HDMI and VGA, so if you use a DVI to HDMI cable, the monitor never sleeps, just goes to blue screen when the PC goes to sleep.
Anonymous
March 20, 2008 4:45:37 PM

I also just order the Westinghouse from Tigerdirect for 359.99 after rebate. I should have it Monday. Stupid Friday holiday hehe.
a c 205 4 Gaming
April 2, 2008 3:09:02 PM

I don't quite understand the process behind picking 24" as the selection criteria. If it's a 1920 x 1200 display you want, then that would include models from 22" - 30". Of course the sharpest image will come from the most pixels per inch so that would push you to the lower end of that spectrum. If you are using it as a desktop monitor, then I'd buy the Lenovo L220x S-PVA panel. If it's going to be on a piece of furniture w/ you laying back in a tilt chair, then I'd opt for one of the 30" Dell's / Gateway / Apple's.
April 3, 2008 2:52:25 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I don't quite understand the process behind picking 24" as the selection criteria. If it's a 1920 x 1200 display you want, then that would include models from 22" - 30"

And I have the highly detailed, extremely in depth, staggering answer to a fine question and good point. Money. :p 
a c 205 4 Gaming
April 3, 2008 9:06:42 PM

bildo123 said:
And I have the highly detailed, extremely in depth, staggering answer to a fine question and good point. Money. :p 

Look at the thread topic and 1st post:

Quote:
Finally im going to buy an LCD, but I need to know, whats the best 24" lcd ever created for gaming according to pro techs reviews. .

1. The first sentence uses the words "best LCD ever created" excludes the use of the word "money" in the same sentence.

Quote:
Money is not an issue

2. The second sentence specifically excludes money as a consideration.

But to answer your question in a more general sense....money does not necessarily increase with bigger size. For example, I would consider the best 24" monitor to be the 22" Lenovo L220x. It's 1920 x 1200, it's not a TN panel....can do triple duty as a gaming monitor as well as graphics monitor and movie monitor. There are more expensive 22" - 24" panels but they are better suited to graphics work than gaming.

I don't wanna start a size does / does not matter argument as that discussion is better suited to another type of forum :)  but my point was that resolution should be the primary criteria rather than size.
April 14, 2008 6:12:00 AM

Best LCD i have to chance see so far was Samsung XL30, its 30" with LED backlight, 6ms GtG, and it have 114% NTSC color gamut whitch is pretty impresive.
Only reason i dont have it yet is that it is over my budget, with price around 7000$ in my country (its possible get one for around 4400$ in US).
December 16, 2008 8:10:40 AM

I happen to own a 24" monitor and I am quite happy to inform you that it is..indeed, the BEST 24" monitor that anyone could have the opportunity of owning. My actual monitor is...frankly...better than any other persons 24"
or larger clown I have ever seen. I own a 24" BENQ monitor and I am quite convinced that it was the best decision of my life to spend the ENTIRETY of my highschool graduation money upon it...all 850$. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that newegg was selling my 24" BENQ for 350$. If you have a brain and want a GAMING monitor that has EVERY input including HDMI and can run 1080 i/p with a native 1920x1200 resolution and make every game you play look like a naked jessica alba, buy from a 24" from BENQ. I believe my response time is 5ms. I love it. You will love it. It also happens to be the brightest monitor that I have ever seen. It literally burns holes into my eyes at times like this when i have stayed up all night and its 5:09 the next morning. I find this to be a positive factor though, because it adds to the l33tpwn4g3 that I am able to create in dark maps on FPS games when everyone else is like "OMGWTFBBQ DO YOU HAVE NIGHT VISION OR SOMETHING?" and I am like..."no."
March 8, 2009 6:34:11 PM

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! In the last 2 weeks I have Bought and returned the best Best Buy had to offer. Ordered and am using the new Dell 2209WA. Went to the eye doctor and spent 500 bucks for glasses .. even though he said my eyes weren't that bad. And ... SPENT OMG I don't even know how many hours looking for a GOOD 24" monitor. Okay to me it is good but for most my good is probably fantastic. I guess... to me you should not notice ANYTHING about the screen ... just what you are looking at. I still look over at my 19" Nokia Pro that cost me almost 800 bucks 10 years ago and wonder why I ever tried to replace it. Oh yea... my brother got a 22" and I watched him playing LOTRO and though SWEET, wouldn't that be awesome in R Factor. Oddly enough it IS FANTASTIC in R Factor... but OMG these monitors are so frikkin inconsistent WTF is going on. The Samsungs I tried had beautiful color ... except the top 2" of the screen were like.. WRONG .. and the LG was nice .. if you didn't know you were missing a LOT of color. And this Dell is nice. It's probably 10 times better than the other monitors I tried. Thank god because it's not returnable. But clouds in any game I have tried look like .. they have thier own light source. I adjust this away and am rewarded with a horribly bland picture. I try using the Nvidia wizard and it's a complete waste of time. Also when I am at the desktop .. which is set to black all the corners look like they are glowing or something. AND the awesome stand ... allows the monitor to wiggle while i am typing and I can't seem to make my desk sturdy enough to stop it. At least it's usable for now with the brightness set on ZERO and the contrast at 60, but it is not as good of color as my 10 year old Nokia. I then assume okay there are good LCD monitors. they just must be expensive. I do a lot of reading and come up with the NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3 24 Oh well TOO BAD no one sells it in the US. PLEASE SOMEONE .... someone like me when you ask your friends to look at something and there like ... dude.. i can't see what you are talking about... or when you say do you hear that in that mp3.. it's not right and their like ... hmmm sounds awesome to me man. If this is you .. WHAT monitor should I buy? I play games and do a lot of reading on the net. Probably twice as much reading as gaming. I am selling my Dirtbike and should have about 800 bucks left over. WOW add the cost of glasses 500 and then this 260 dollar Dell.... sweet Christopher my wife better not read this ... Sorry guys ... I should have waited an hour before I wrote this ... but I just spent 3 hours to decide on a monitor I can't even buy, unless I want to fly across the world to the UK.
August 10, 2009 1:31:25 PM

BenQ E2400HD =)
!