How should i setup the partitions on my 2 HDs?

ricster

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
So i currently have an 80gb IDE HD and will be buying an SATA 160gb HD tomorrow. So i'm just wondering whats the best way to split my partitions. I basically want 3 partitions (Windows, Games, Media) all 80 gb each. I'm asking this cos i have a lot of conflicting information.
Any other suggestions would help as well, such as should i keep the games and OS together etc.

And also, does it matter if you mix brands? ie. Use a Seagate and a Maxtor

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ricster on 02/05/05 11:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If both drives are the same speed and have the same cache it won't really matter where you put your stuff. I suppose the 160 will be a tad faster because of a higher cluster density but it couldn't be by much. For the setup you want I guess just put your windows and games partitions on the 160 and media on the 80.
I myself would put windows and games on the 80gb drive and leave the whole 160gb drive open for storage. But thats just me :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I always create a 20 GB partion (NTFS of course) on my fastest drive, where I install windows and all my programs including games.

I usually partion the remaining space as D: and move my desktop, my documents folder, email/internet profile ect. there. Since C: needs D: I like to keep them on the same drive.

For all other drives I just use one NTFS Partion.

I do this so that I can easily backup/restore/reinstall my OS and installed software without having to worry about first making copies of individual files and folders.

I can recover from any software problem in less than 5 minutes and not lose a single email, important file or bookmark.

However if you never backup or reinstall, then there really isn't much point in overcomplicating things. One partion per drive is all you need or want.

Then again if you like to experiment a lot then you might want two OS partions and use BIOS settings to decide which one you are going to boot into.

I really don't understand why you would want to keep your games on a seperate partion, there wouldn't be any performance benifit, and it would overly complicate backups.