No recovery disc supplied with new computer...

Lone Fox

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I'm thinking about buying a notebook; however, since who knows.. the last 6 years, computers no longer come with Windows OEM recovery discs. Normally, I do a clean install... easy right. However, my Windows 7 Pro Retail is reserved for my future HTPC.

When you buy a computer, you are also buying the OS license, so I do not like this one bit.

Is it possible to backup/store the retail computers hard drive/OS install data BEFORE starting any configurations/installations?

Reasons I ask are because I want to swap the HDD with my Intel SSD. I would like to do a clean install on the SSD.

Samsung is looking pretty convincing because they seem to be the only ones that ship with recovery OEM DVD... but I don't want to limit my choices :pfff:

unreal9400

Distinguished
Most computer manufacturer don't provide recovery disc anymore.
Recovery image is provided in case something goes wrong with your computer.
It's hidden on the hard drive partition.
All you need is a few blank DVD's and burn the recovery image to the DVD.

Lone Fox

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
yes, I realize that.

This would be a like a clean install right? There would be no negative affect if I were to burn the DVDs in IDE then swap my HD with a SSD and install Windows in AHCI?

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

You could make a recovery disc for your laptop going to start-> All Programs. Find there recovery media provided by the manufacturer. You will have to run the media after inserting a Disk.