sirikit200

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My Dell SC 420 requires 5V expansion PCI cards. How do I determine which current Sound card is 5V (as opposed to 3.3V)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PCI slots have a key just like AGP slots do. If the key is on one end, it's 3.3v, and on the other it's 5v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sirikit200

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Wait> two questions result from your timely response: which end is which? Second: neither the internet displays show the slots and the packages can't be opened. What am I missing to take advantage of the information you provided? How does one determine which sould card now offered for sale by the major vendors is a 5V or a 3.3V
card. Ironically, if the PCI standard is the determining factor, I can't find a list of what the requirements are for each PCI standard level as the accrediting body doesn't publish the individual physical
and technical requirements for each progressive level!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As you look at the board in normal orientation, most PC's have slots with the key on the right, most special Server slots have them on the left. I'm not sure which is which, I have several modems (for example) here that work in either.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
If in doubt buy from a store that with a good return policy (and no restocking fee). There are several in my area. A good way to tell is if they have a bin with discounted open box products :)