Why can't I play games on my computer ?????

Let me state first up I'm a novice to games. I thought I would buy a couple
of games and I chose "Combat flight Simulator 3" and "Medal of Honour". After
I loaded them on my computer I tried to play them. Both played through the
movie but soon as the game goes to start they both crash the computer. After
several frustrating hours I realized the only way they would play was to put
them in "safe mode" Yeeech !!!!!
A friend told me that my problem was that my computer had an itergrated
video card which used only 64mb of the 512mb of my memory. So of I go and get
a new video card installed and I had my RAM increased to 1Gig at the same
time.
When I started the games up the computer asked my to re-run the program
because it detected a new video card so I did.
So I'm ready to play CFS 3 but you guessed it . The computer still crashes
on anything above safe mode. What do I need to do ???? (maybe forget about
games)

SiS 661FX-M motherboard, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card
4 answers Last reply
More about play games computer

    Hi Jeld,

    When you say your computer crashes, does it reboot or give a STOP error,
    if so, this might help sort out the problem

    Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
    errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.

    Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
    I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :-)

    1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk - JELD
    you might need to update your SiS Chipset drivers too!

    2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
    and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
    Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
    heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
    Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com

    3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
    and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
    wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)

    4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "jeld" <jeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15601C48-D9A0-407C-8A97-CF73A97DDDB0@microsoft.com...
    | Let me state first up I'm a novice to games. I thought I would buy a couple
    | of games and I chose "Combat flight Simulator 3" and "Medal of Honour". After
    | I loaded them on my computer I tried to play them. Both played through the
    | movie but soon as the game goes to start they both crash the computer. After
    | several frustrating hours I realized the only way they would play was to put
    | them in "safe mode" Yeeech !!!!!
    | A friend told me that my problem was that my computer had an itergrated
    | video card which used only 64mb of the 512mb of my memory. So of I go and get
    | a new video card installed and I had my RAM increased to 1Gig at the same
    | time.
    | When I started the games up the computer asked my to re-run the program
    | because it detected a new video card so I did.
    | So I'm ready to play CFS 3 but you guessed it . The computer still crashes
    | on anything above safe mode. What do I need to do ???? (maybe forget about
    | games)
    |
    | SiS 661FX-M motherboard, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card

    Thanx for your reply Jimmy.
    No, the computer gives no error message. It just seizes. I have to turn the
    computer off because it stalls and the keyboard becomes ineffective. I think
    it is what you call a screen lock up. Even the cursor wont move when I move
    the mouse.
    The computer has no dust problem.
    The computer seizes as soon as the games begin at the end of the movie every
    single time. There is no randomness about it. So I dont think it is a faulty
    power supply problem. As I said the games do work in "safe mode".
    I think there must be a technical problem with the computer or there
    hopefully is just some simple setting that is wrong.

    I think maybe I should not started with games ....

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jeld,
    >
    > When you say your computer crashes, does it reboot or give a STOP error,
    > if so, this might help sort out the problem
    >
    > Hardware issues can cause freezing, black screens and other
    > errors. Also, your drivers should always be kept up to date.
    >
    > Try the following steps one at a time to try and resolve the issue.
    > I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any questions! :-)
    >
    > 1. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    > For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    > Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk - JELD
    > you might need to update your SiS Chipset drivers too!
    >
    > 2. Dust your fans, vents and components using a 1/4" paintbrush
    > and a hose vacuum. Use compressed air for hard to reach places.
    > Set a housefan to blow cold air into your case to expose an over-
    > heating issue.. If it works add more fans or replace defective ones.
    > Use this Motherboard Monitor Utility: http://mbm.livewiredev.com
    >
    > 3. A faulty power supply can cause STOP errors, random reboots,
    > and black screen lockups. One way to test for that is to check the
    > wattage sticker on your power supply and then calculate your need
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ (Min. 350 for gaming)
    >
    > 4. Test your RAM using: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "jeld" <jeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15601C48-D9A0-407C-8A97-CF73A97DDDB0@microsoft.com...
    > | Let me state first up I'm a novice to games. I thought I would buy a couple
    > | of games and I chose "Combat flight Simulator 3" and "Medal of Honour". After
    > | I loaded them on my computer I tried to play them. Both played through the
    > | movie but soon as the game goes to start they both crash the computer. After
    > | several frustrating hours I realized the only way they would play was to put
    > | them in "safe mode" Yeeech !!!!!
    > | A friend told me that my problem was that my computer had an itergrated
    > | video card which used only 64mb of the 512mb of my memory. So of I go and get
    > | a new video card installed and I had my RAM increased to 1Gig at the same
    > | time.
    > | When I started the games up the computer asked my to re-run the program
    > | because it detected a new video card so I did.
    > | So I'm ready to play CFS 3 but you guessed it . The computer still crashes
    > | on anything above safe mode. What do I need to do ???? (maybe forget about
    > | games)
    > |
    > | SiS 661FX-M motherboard, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Jeld,

    If your computer is freezing up I recommend you go through the
    steps I posted for you, especially the Video Troubleshooter.

    --

    "jeld" <jeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:304CC46C-9891-4608-8070-1631867DEEC8@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | > | of games and I chose "Combat flight Simulator 3" and "Medal of Honour". After
    | > | I loaded them on my computer I tried to play them. Both played through the
    | > | movie but soon as the game goes to start they both crash the computer. After
    | > | several frustrating hours I realized the only way they would play was to put
    | > | them in "safe mode" Yeeech !!!!!
    | > | A friend told me that my problem was that my computer had an itergrated
    | > | video card which used only 64mb of the 512mb of my memory. So of I go and get
    | > | a new video card installed and I had my RAM increased to 1Gig at the same
    | > | time.
    | > | When I started the games up the computer asked my to re-run the program
    | > | because it detected a new video card so I did.
    | > | So I'm ready to play CFS 3 but you guessed it . The computer still crashes
    | > | on anything above safe mode. What do I need to do ???? (maybe forget about
    | > |
    | > | SiS 661FX-M motherboard, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Reply to message from "jeld" <jeld@discussions.microsoft.com> (Thu, 18 Aug
    2005 10:18:03) about "Why can't I play games on my computer ?????":

    Did you try disabling the onboard video in your computer's BIOS? Some games
    (Star Wars Galaxies f.e.) require to have the "Graphics Aperture Size" set
    to double the size of the video card's ram.

    j> Let me state first up I'm a novice to games. I thought I would buy a
    j> couple of games and I chose "Combat flight Simulator 3" and "Medal of
    j> Honour". After I loaded them on my computer I tried to play them. Both
    j> played through the movie but soon as the game goes to start they both
    j> crash the computer. After several frustrating hours I realized the only
    j> way they would play was to put them in "safe mode" Yeeech !!!!!
    j> A friend told me that my problem was that my computer had an itergrated
    j> video card which used only 64mb of the
    j> 512mb of my memory. So of I go and get a new video card installed and I
    j> had my RAM increased to 1Gig at the same time. When I started the games
    j> up the computer asked my to re-run the program because it detected a
    j> new video card so I did. So I'm ready to play CFS 3 but you guessed
    j> it . The computer still crashes on anything above safe mode. What do I
    j> need to do ????
    j> (maybe forget about games)

    j> SiS 661FX-M motherboard, Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card

    Bye
    Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:46:01 +0200

Graphics Cards Games Computers Video Games