How do I run scan for bad sectors first?

I have a drive D: with perhaps millions of bad "file segments." When I run
chkdsk /f /r d: from the command prompt, it always starts by verifying the
file system, and reports, forever to the end of time, that there are
unreadable file segments. I need to bypass this portion of chkdsk and go
straight to the search for and repair of bad sectors, as I think this will
help solve the problem. The file system check could run afterwords - or is
this a bad idea?

I have tried using the check boxes on drive D to no avail. I get an error
message that chkdsk cannot complete, but no option to request one on startup.

Any help here would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about scan sectors first

    You don't need to use the /F switch with the /R switch. /R implies /F. However, it must check the file system, before it can try to recover bad sectors. Start it, and let it run.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Ned H." <NedH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A42A68-668E-4BF4-BC19-3153C2086E54@microsoft.com...
    >I have a drive D: with perhaps millions of bad "file segments." When I run
    > chkdsk /f /r d: from the command prompt, it always starts by verifying the
    > file system, and reports, forever to the end of time, that there are
    > unreadable file segments. I need to bypass this portion of chkdsk and go
    > straight to the search for and repair of bad sectors, as I think this will
    > help solve the problem. The file system check could run afterwords - or is
    > this a bad idea?
    >
    > I have tried using the check boxes on drive D to no avail. I get an error
    > message that chkdsk cannot complete, but no option to request one on startup.
    >
    > Any help here would be appreciated.

    Thanks. Do you have any idea just how long this will take? It does about
    700-1000 unreadable segments per hour. There are thousands that are bad, if
    not hundreds of thousands. I have no idea how a file segment relates to a
    file or a sector.

    Ned

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > You don't need to use the /F switch with the /R switch. /R implies /F. However, it must check the file system, before it can try to recover bad sectors. Start it, and let it run.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Ned H." <NedH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A42A68-668E-4BF4-BC19-3153C2086E54@microsoft.com...
    > >I have a drive D: with perhaps millions of bad "file segments." When I run
    > > chkdsk /f /r d: from the command prompt, it always starts by verifying the
    > > file system, and reports, forever to the end of time, that there are
    > > unreadable file segments. I need to bypass this portion of chkdsk and go
    > > straight to the search for and repair of bad sectors, as I think this will
    > > help solve the problem. The file system check could run afterwords - or is
    > > this a bad idea?
    > >
    > > I have tried using the check boxes on drive D to no avail. I get an error
    > > message that chkdsk cannot complete, but no option to request one on startup.
    > >
    > > Any help here would be appreciated.

    If your hard drive is trashed, or the file system is seriously damaged it may take quite a while.

    A sector is one block on the disk, usually 512 bytes. A cluster is one or more sectors in a contiguous group. The default cluster size for XP on an NTFS system is 4,096 bytes, or 8 sectors. FAT32 varies the cluster size in relation to the drive size.

    "Ned H." <NedH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E4B2242-2A20-45C3-8FA9-BA8A430ADF91@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks. Do you have any idea just how long this will take? It does about
    > 700-1000 unreadable segments per hour. There are thousands that are bad, if
    > not hundreds of thousands. I have no idea how a file segment relates to a
    > file or a sector.
    >
    > Ned
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> You don't need to use the /F switch with the /R switch. /R implies /F. However, it must check the file system, before it can try to recover bad sectors. Start it, and let it run.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Ned H." <NedH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6A42A68-668E-4BF4-BC19-3153C2086E54@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have a drive D: with perhaps millions of bad "file segments." When I run
    >> > chkdsk /f /r d: from the command prompt, it always starts by verifying the
    >> > file system, and reports, forever to the end of time, that there are
    >> > unreadable file segments. I need to bypass this portion of chkdsk and go
    >> > straight to the search for and repair of bad sectors, as I think this will
    >> > help solve the problem. The file system check could run afterwords - or is
    >> > this a bad idea?
    >> >
    >> > I have tried using the check boxes on drive D to no avail. I get an error
    >> > message that chkdsk cannot complete, but no option to request one on startup.
    >> >
    >> > Any help here would be appreciated.

Chkdsk File System Windows XP