two local disk

i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D )...
i can't reformatt my compputer because local disk ( C ) don't have enough
space, how do i ease local disk ( D )??? i have 7.82mb on local disk ( C )
and 74.5gm on local disk ( D ).

thank you
7 answers Last reply
More about local disk

    jim wrote:

    > i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D )...
    > i can't reformatt my compputer because local disk ( C ) don't have enough
    > space, how do i ease local disk ( D )??? i have 7.82mb on local disk ( C )
    > and 74.5gm on local disk ( D ).
    >
    > thank you

    Sorry but you're post doesn't make much sense. The ability to format
    and install XP doesn't have anything to do with the amount of free space
    on the drive. Also what do you mean by "..how do i ease local disk ( D
    ).." ? Lastly what do you mean by 74.5gm?

    What exactly do you want to do?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    jim wrote:
    > i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D )...

    Do you mean you have two seperate physical hard drives or do you have
    one hard drive partitioned into two logical drives?

    > i can't reformatt my compputer because local disk ( C ) don't have enough
    > space, how do i ease local disk ( D )??? i have 7.82mb on local disk ( C )
    > and 74.5gm on local disk ( D ).

    If you are trying to reformat your C: drive from within windows you
    can't you have to use a boot disk (floppy or bootable CD) but remember
    reformatting will wipe out all the material on the disk you reformat.

    The last part of your post does not make sense.

    > thank you

    Use BING to combine them and take it from there:

    Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "" wrote:
    > jim wrote:
    >
    > > i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D
    > )...
    > > i can't reformatt my compputer because local disk ( C )
    > don't have enough
    > > space, how do i ease local disk ( D )??? i have 7.82mb on
    > local disk ( C )
    > > and 74.5gm on local disk ( D ).
    > >

    > thank you
    >
    > Sorry but you're post doesn't make much sense. The ability to
    > format
    > and install XP doesn't have anything to do with the amount of
    > free space
    > on the drive. Also what do you mean by "..how do i ease local
    > disk ( D
    > ).." ? Lastly what do you mean by 74.5gm?
    >
    > What exactly do you want to do?
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I think what you are trying to do is format the c drive while windows
    is running (asuming c is systemroot), while with good operrating
    system this is quite posible with windows it is not posible, you will
    have to use a xp install disk to format C, you should be able to
    format D with out problems (again, this is asuming systemroot is C)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-local-disk-ftopict397250.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1310419

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > jim wrote:
    > > i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D )...
    >
    > Do you mean you have two seperate physical hard drives or do you have
    > one hard drive partitioned into two logical drives?

    IS its one hard drive partitioned into two logical drives, now i want to
    combine them together because Local Disk ( C:) only have 7.82 MB and Local
    Disk (D:) have 74.5GB... sorry for the confusion thank you for helping out

    jim wrote:

    > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >

    >>jim wrote:
    >>
    >>>i have two local disks: local disk ( c ) and local disk ( D )...
    >>
    >>Do you mean you have two seperate physical hard drives or do you have
    >>one hard drive partitioned into two logical drives?
    >>

    > IS its one hard drive partitioned into two logical drives, now i want to
    > combine them together because Local Disk ( C:) only have 7.82 MB and Local
    > Disk (D:) have 74.5GB... sorry for the confusion thank you for helping out

    There are no tools to do this non destructively in XP. Partition Magic
    now from Symantec will do it, as will BootIT NG from Terabyte Unlimited.
    That program has a 30 day full featured trial offer. Make sure you
    have a full and complete backup of all important data in case something
    goes wrong.

    It can be done in XP destructively with a clean install. Boot from the
    XP disc, delete both partitions and make one that fills the entire
    drive, format and then install windows. You'll need to reinstall all
    progams and windows updates, and restore data from backup.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Microsoft Windows XP