MS Beta Anti-spyware Updating?

July 18, 2005 1:41:57 AM

Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it
to update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize
MS has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their
initial agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any
jumped to other programs such as Counter Spy?
July 18, 2005 1:56:51 AM

James wrote:

> Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
> remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it
> to update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize
> MS has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their
> initial agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any
> jumped to other programs such as Counter Spy?

Yes there is a straight forward fix for it. Check the posts in the MS
Antispyware newsgroup for the resolution.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

James;
You should ask this in the Microsoft AntiSpyware newsgroups:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
> remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it to
> update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize MS
> has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their initial
> agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any jumped to
> other programs such as Counter Spy?
July 18, 2005 5:17:46 AM

I have not had any issues updating my MS Antispyware program so far.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:41:57 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
>remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it
>to update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize
>MS has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their
>initial agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any
>jumped to other programs such as Counter Spy?
July 18, 2005 9:52:34 AM

looseefur@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have not had any issues updating my MS Antispyware program so far.
>
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:41:57 -0700, James <leushinonospam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
>>remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it
>>to update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize
>>MS has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their
>>initial agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any
>>jumped to other programs such as Counter Spy?

That's nice (not very helpful... but nice), albeit, thousands have
experienced these problems. I've tried to understand the workarounds but
given the fact that I can't seem to root it out of my registry to
re-install it cleanly, I suppose I really do have no other alternative
but to jump ship. Thanks anyway.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:05:05 PM

Just delete gcUnCompress.dll from your Windows/system32 folder and download
a new copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware when you install it you will be good to
go!

> That's nice (not very helpful... but nice), albeit, thousands have
> experienced these problems. I've tried to understand the workarounds but
> given the fact that I can't seem to root it out of my registry to
> re-install it cleanly, I suppose I really do have no other alternative but
> to jump ship. Thanks anyway.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:30:41 PM

Once you delete the file just go to Add/Remove Programs and instead of
selecting Uninstall select Change. From here you can choose to update the
program and all will be well :-)

"vameo" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
news:o 02HVl5iFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Just delete gcUnCompress.dll from your Windows/system32 folder and
> download a new copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware when you install it you will
> be good to go!
>

>> That's nice (not very helpful... but nice), albeit, thousands have
>> experienced these problems. I've tried to understand the workarounds but
>> given the fact that I can't seem to root it out of my registry to
>> re-install it cleanly, I suppose I really do have no other alternative
>> but to jump ship. Thanks anyway.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:04:35 PM

MWAS is still in beta.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

James wrote:
> Has the updating "issue" been resolved yet? I'm really torn about
> remaining with this program since I've been unsuccessful in getting it
> to update. In addition, there is the revelation about Claria. I realize
> MS has severed ties with Claria but I'm still confused as to their
> initial agenda. So, what are others doing about this program? Have any
> jumped to other programs such as Counter Spy?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:11:18 AM

"John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Once you delete the file just go to Add/Remove Programs and instead of
> selecting Uninstall select Change. From here you can choose to update the
> program and all will be well :-)
>

> "vameo" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
> news:o 02HVl5iFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>

>> Just delete gcUnCompress.dll from your Windows/system32 folder and
>> download a new copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware when you install it you will
>> be good to go!
>>

>>> That's nice (not very helpful... but nice), albeit, thousands have
>>> experienced these problems. I've tried to understand the workarounds but
>>> given the fact that I can't seem to root it out of my registry to
>>> re-install it cleanly, I suppose I really do have no other alternative
>>> but to jump ship. Thanks anyway.

Good one John E. I hadn't thought of that.
July 19, 2005 12:24:02 PM

vameo wrote:
> "John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Once you delete the file just go to Add/Remove Programs and instead of
>>selecting Uninstall select Change. From here you can choose to update the
>>program and all will be well :-)
>>

>>"vameo" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
>>news:o 02HVl5iFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>

>>>Just delete gcUnCompress.dll from your Windows/system32 folder and
>>>download a new copy of Microsoft AntiSpyware when you install it you will
>>>be good to go!

> Good one John E. I hadn't thought of that.

And it did the trick. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:56:35 PM

> vameo wrote:
>> "John E. Carty" <jecarty@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Once you delete the file just go to Add/Remove Programs and instead of
>>>selecting Uninstall select Change. From here you can choose to update the
>>>program and all will be well :-)
>>>

>>>"vameo" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
>>>news:o 02HVl5iFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> Good one John E. I hadn't thought of that.
> And it did the trick. Thanks.

You're quite welcome :-)
!