Installing windows XP on HP Pavilion dv6760 (laptop) - no HD found

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinpawer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I'm trying to install Windows XP on an HP Pavilion dv6760 Laptop. It came with Windows Vista installed. There are drivers available for the laptop for Windows XP, so I presume I should be able to install XP on it.

However, when I try to install it, and boot from CD, it is telling me that there are no hard disks installed. Normally, on desktops I either remove the RAID / AHCI option from BIOS, or use a disk to install drivers for the storage controller. I have no storage controller drivers for this laptop, and also it does not have a floppy drive as well.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

If the drivers aren't provided and you can't turn AHCI off, you can't install Windows XP. You need those drivers.

Why are you getting rid of Vista? It's a much better OS than archaic XP.

twinpawer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
The BIOS seems to have a very few settings, without any option for AHCI etc. Do I need to do anything 'special' to access the "advanced" BIOS settings?

the laptop's not for me, and they want to use the XP that they are so used to! I already told them so...

If there's no advanced menu visible on the main screen, it doesn't exist. There aren't any special keystrokes to access a 1337 menu.

Like I said - no drivers, no AHCI control, no XP.

You can try and find similar drivers and slipstream them into an XP disc...

Status
Not open for further replies.