Annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon

I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
appreciate.
9 answers Last reply
More about annoying safely remove hardware icon

    I suggest you take some Prozac, 'cause if a tiny icon can cause you such
    annoyance, how do you cope with the real stresses in life?

    "Drew B." wrote:

    > I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    > stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    > here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    > ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    > PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    > know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    > they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    > displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    > something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    > or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    > but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    > space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    > appreciate.

    Oh well, I guess I can't always have this stuff my way. If hiding the
    inactive icons is the best that can be done, I guess I'll do it that
    way.

    Do they still prescribe Prozac these days?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I suggest you take some Prozac, 'cause if a tiny icon can cause you such
    > annoyance, how do you cope with the real stresses in life?
    >
    > "Drew B." wrote:
    >
    >> I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    >> stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    >> here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    >> ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    >> PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    >> know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    >> they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    >> displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    >> something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    >> or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    >> but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    >> space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    >> appreciate.

    Hi Drew,

    Depends on how disturbed you are..... :o)

    Notes from Torgeir: Microsoft MVP Scripting

    To automate this, you can use deveject.exe available here (includes
    C++ source code as well):

    ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0316-208.zip

    For help, run deveject.exe /? in a command prompt.
    Works for Windows 2000/XP/2003.

    An example using the EjectName command line switch:
    deveject.exe -EjectName:"USB Mass Storage Device"

    --

    "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    > stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    > here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    > ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    > PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    > know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    > they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    > displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    > something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    > or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    > but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    > space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    > appreciate.

    You could use the "Hide inactive icons" feature, setting it to "Always hide"

    Right-click Taskbar > Properties > Check "Hide inactive icons" > Customize

    Would require setting your other icons to an appropriate setting though eg
    "Always show"

    Jon

    "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    > stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    > here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    > ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    > PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    > know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    > they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    > displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    > something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    > or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    > but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    > space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    > appreciate.

    oops missed the end of your post

    "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    > You could use the "Hide inactive icons" feature, setting it to "Always
    > hide"
    >
    > Right-click Taskbar > Properties > Check "Hide inactive icons" >
    > Customize
    >
    > Would require setting your other icons to an appropriate setting though eg
    > "Always show"
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    >> stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    >> here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    >> ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    >> PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    >> know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    >> they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    >> displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    >> something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    >> or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    >> but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    >> space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    >> appreciate.

    Think that's more to do with automating the hardware removal process, than
    just removing the icon

    Personally I would just leave the icon. Might be annoying initially, but
    soon fades into the background.

    Jon

    > Hi Drew,
    >
    > Depends on how disturbed you are..... :o)
    >
    > Notes from Torgeir: Microsoft MVP Scripting
    >
    > To automate this, you can use deveject.exe available here (includes
    > C++ source code as well):
    >
    > ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0316-208.zip
    >
    > For help, run deveject.exe /? in a command prompt.
    > Works for Windows 2000/XP/2003.
    >
    > An example using the EjectName command line switch:
    > deveject.exe -EjectName:"USB Mass Storage Device"
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    >> stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    >> here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    >> ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    >> PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    >> know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    >> they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    >> displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    >> something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    >> or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    >> but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    >> space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    >> appreciate.

    True and true. Was just another option to consider. :o)

    --

    > Think that's more to do with automating the hardware removal process, than
    > just removing the icon
    >
    > Personally I would just leave the icon. Might be annoying initially, but
    > soon fades into the background.
    >
    > Jon

    >> Hi Drew,
    >>
    >> Depends on how disturbed you are..... :o)
    >>
    >> Notes from Torgeir: Microsoft MVP Scripting
    >>
    >> To automate this, you can use deveject.exe available here (includes
    >> C++ source code as well):
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0316-208.zip
    >>
    >> For help, run deveject.exe /? in a command prompt.
    >> Works for Windows 2000/XP/2003.
    >>
    >> An example using the EjectName command line switch:
    >> deveject.exe -EjectName:"USB Mass Storage Device"
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    >>> stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    >>> here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    >>> ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    >>> PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    >>> know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    >>> they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    >>> displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    >>> something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    >>> or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    >>> but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    >>> space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    >>> appreciate.

    You could always upgrade to a newer laptop with integrated ethernet ........

    ---
    Brian

    "Drew B." <cobain.atb@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I desperately need to remove the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.I can't
    > stand having a cluttered desktop. I know that this has been discussed
    > here several times, but I have yet to find a solution. I'm using an
    > ancient Dell 3500 notebook with XP Pro. I've had an old 3com ethernet
    > PC Card for years, and I wanted to use it in XP. As I'm sure you all
    > know, it puts that annoying icon in the system tray. In Windows 2000,
    > they had a way to make it so that the icon was not required to be
    > displayed, but I haven't found a similar option in XP. Is there
    > something I'm missing here, or does anyone know of a third-party app,
    > or anything like that? Also, I know that you can hide inactive icons,
    > but the ">>" thing that shows the condensed tray takes up just a much
    > space as keeping it as-is. Any help that anyone can give me I really
    > appreciate.

Hardware Windows XP