Memory and PF Usage Plateau

Hi,

I've had performance problems for which i've sought help in separate threads
on this site. but i wanted to ask this question in a new thread:

I recently opened Task Manager and just watched it as i did some minor stuff
on my computer (i.e. minimal webbrowsing, a little messaging on MSN), and i
noticed that every few minutes or so my memory usage and PF Usage would shoot
up all of a sudden, stay high for about 30 seconds, and then shoot right down
again (creating a type of "plateau" affect). This didn't seem to be
correlated with anything i was doing on the computer, because, as i
mentioned, i wasn't using any memory-intensive applications. Could this be
indicative of an undetected virus/malware, or something else?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about memory usage plateau

    If you view running services you'll probably see 35 to 45 active,any of those
    can cause the spike,windows update,anti-virus software,etc. any of them
    can cause it.

    "Chico" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had performance problems for which i've sought help in separate threads
    > on this site. but i wanted to ask this question in a new thread:
    >
    > I recently opened Task Manager and just watched it as i did some minor stuff
    > on my computer (i.e. minimal webbrowsing, a little messaging on MSN), and i
    > noticed that every few minutes or so my memory usage and PF Usage would shoot
    > up all of a sudden, stay high for about 30 seconds, and then shoot right down
    > again (creating a type of "plateau" affect). This didn't seem to be
    > correlated with anything i was doing on the computer, because, as i
    > mentioned, i wasn't using any memory-intensive applications. Could this be
    > indicative of an undetected virus/malware, or something else?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Chico,

    Depends on many factors. See if this helps:

    Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the following
    columns: "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes."

    Suggestion: Run the undo on line 367 (right hand side):

    SequoiaView:
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had performance problems for which i've sought help in separate
    > threads
    > on this site. but i wanted to ask this question in a new thread:
    >
    > I recently opened Task Manager and just watched it as i did some minor
    > stuff
    > on my computer (i.e. minimal webbrowsing, a little messaging on MSN), and
    > noticed that every few minutes or so my memory usage and PF Usage would
    > shoot
    > up all of a sudden, stay high for about 30 seconds, and then shoot right
    > down
    > again (creating a type of "plateau" affect). This didn't seem to be
    > correlated with anything i was doing on the computer, because, as i
    > mentioned, i wasn't using any memory-intensive applications. Could this
    > be
    > indicative of an undetected virus/malware, or something else?
    >
    > Thanks

Windows XP