WD usb2. External Drive

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I bought a wd external usb 2.0 HD 8 months ago. Twice I lost my data. The first time I had to reformat the drive just to get it to work again. This time the drive just started clicking and that was it. As a matter of fact my PC would not even boot it would freeze unless I unplugged the drive. WD said My warranty was up but I have only had this drive for 8 months not 12. The question I have is I think it would be cheaper and just as stable to build my own usb external HD with one of the KIts than buy it from WD or maxtor.What do you think? I really need a stable backup system. Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Those drive's have a 1 year waranty.

Did you check the waranty with their automated system or call?

The store where you purchased the drive is supposed to register the serial number and sale date with WD. If they don't, and you don't register the drive then their automated system has to base the waranty on the date the store recieved the drive.

In that case you would need an invoice or receipt to prove the purchase data. If you lost the receipt you are screwed.

And yes an external drive would be a better choice. I like the ones that support IDE drives and have USB 2.0 and SATA outputs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, it's not true, the reason cannibals don't eat clowns is because clowns rarely go to the Irian Jaya.

If you get an external enclosure and put an internal drive in it, you'll be able to get a drive with a 3-year warranty.

Most plastic housing do a poor job of getting rid of the heat, so going with a 5.25" drive enclosure might be a good idea, as the extra space will give the thing a bit more breathing room.

An aluminum enclosure might also do the trick.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Just a side note...the plastic 5.25 enclosures from BYTECC come with a fan and are fairly cheap. Got two of them on sale for $25 ea. I have a HDD in one and a DVD-RW in the other and have had no problems.

....WW (5.0)

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Another interesting trick.

I have several 5.25 mobile racks. I mount the mobile rack into the 5.25" enclosure and I can quickly swap in and out hard drives.

I can also swap them in and out of my case, but since they are IDE it requires a shutdown.

Another the mobile rack doesn't have bottom screws, so I left it lose and it pulled on the internal power connector eventually causing a "short" (technically an open).

Had no end of intermittent failures until I discovered the true problem. Though the enclosure was dying.

So if you attack a drive without bottom holes use duct tape. :)

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
First time anyone set me right on my cannibals! Very good. Your right I have been leaning towards an allum. Housing big enough to install a twin fan cooler to the HArd drive. The alum. Is a great Heat sink, and getting a drive with a 3yr warranty will give you some pease of mind.Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?