Sign in with
Your question

How to remove 100mb partition W7 creates

Last response: in Windows 7
September 20, 2012 10:51:39 AM

I want to remove the 100mb partition W7 created when i installed it the first time (my hd is 3tb and i need to get rid of it because it uses a primary partition slot i need it for something else).

Say I use a tool like paragon disk manager or acronis disk director... delete and remove that 100 mb partition... and then use the W7 recovery bootable cd... will it still load w7 or im going to get into a huge mess? anyone TRIED this and can confirm it works? thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 11:43:25 AM

If you delete the partition, Windows will be gone. You may as well format and reinstall then.

I'm not clear on why this partition exists in the first place? Windows 7 as a rule installs to the default bootable partition, which is C: unless you tell it something else. It doesn't just randomly create new partitions.

Is this a custom built or OEM PC?
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:47:44 AM

Herr_Koos said:
If you delete the partition, Windows will be gone. You may as well format and reinstall then.

I'm not clear on why this partition exists in the first place? Windows 7 as a rule installs to the default bootable partition, which is C: unless you tell it something else. It doesn't just randomly create new partitions.

Is this a custom built or OEM PC?

From what I understand, if w7 finds a ntfs partition on the hd, it will install without creating any new partition. But if the hd is new (and mine was a new pc), it'll create a 100mb reserved primary partition for boot, and then install on another one. I dont like this because it uses up one primary slot... anyway i just got rid of it... using diskpart with the w7 recovery cd...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 11:54:55 AM

Interesting... OK, glad you fixed it.
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:06:36 PM

It is used as a boot drive for use with Bitlocker. It creates the partition on a clean (No partitions present) drive just in case you wish to use Bitlocker at a future date.
m
l
!