DVD RW Will not install, PLEASE HELP

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I have a NEC dvd rw model ND-1300A. I tried hooking it up with a liteon combo drive and both drives are recognized by bios but when i started computer, it took about ten minutes before would start and dvd rw was not recognized.. Only the liteon
I switched jumpers around to all different configs and when windows restarted, there were no drives detected in windows each time and not even detected in device manager. This is the same story with my second computer as well.
Now the drive was givin to me so is there any software i need to install cause i did a search and all that i found was firmware this and firmware that.
Any help from the pros would be greatly appreciated.

System specs
Rig 1: AMD 64 3200+, 1 gig corsair, Radeon 9800 pro (256)74 gig raptor and 120 gig WD, Win XP home

Rig 2: Dell 8200, 1.7 P4, 512 rdram, Nvidia G4 5200(I think) 40 gig WD win XP home

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Optical drives don't need drivers.

Sounds like either you are not setting the jumpers correctly or one of the drives doesn't like being the master/slave or simply sharing a cable with another drive.

Also note usually only the two IDE channels provided by the chipset support Optical Drives.

Often any addiditonal IDE ports are for hard drives only.

1) Don't assume all drive use the same jumper settings.

2) Don't assume that since the drive was working the jumper settings must have been correct, always check.

3) Never use cable select. Set one drive to master, set the other to slave. If using one drive set it to master unless there is a seperate setting for single.

4) If that fails try reversing the roles.

5) If that fails try each drive seperately.

6) If both fail try a different cable.

7) If that fails check your BIOS settings and make sure both IDE ports are enabled and set to Auto detect drive. These are the default settings so they shouldn't need chanings, but something is wrong so you might as well check.

8) Maybe the IDE port is bad, try the other.

9) Give up and buy a new drive. The best DVD+/-RW is selling for just over $60.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks for your reply and trying to help but i think it might have been the drive itself.
I bought a new Liteon burner and it works no prob.
Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger