Shall I get 512 MB more?

crassvs

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
I'm thinking about increasing my RAM to 1 gig, but am not sure whether that would have big impact on performance, particulary in games.

My systems current specs:

CPU: P4 2,4 GHz (400 MHz FSB)
GPU: GeForce 4400 TI (128 MB, AGP)
MoBo: ABIT TH7II RAID
RAM: 512 MB PC-800/45 RIMM

Considering the rather old graphics card, do you think 512 MB additional RAM would result in a good speed increase for games like DOOM 3 or HL 2?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Adding 512MB requires 2 256MB modules.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not exactly. All empty slots use Continuity RIMMs. And some people DID use single modules with the PIII RDRAM chipsets (i820 and i840).

The i850/i850E (same chipset) use 32-bit addressing for RDRAM. Each PC800 module is 16-bits. The correct configuration is to use pairs of memory and pairs of CRIMMs in the unused slots.

The bandwidth plays a big part here: A P4 with 400 bus has a 64-bit pathway, a 32-bit pathway with RDRAM at a speed of DDR800 (RDRAM was DDR too) provides matched bandwidth. A 16-bit pathway doesn't.

Later a 32-bit module was developed, called RIMM4200, and had more pins, making it incompatable with previous boards.

The RIMM4200 would be used singly on the i850 chipset. PC800 could be used singly on PIII chipsets. In order to fill the 32-bit memory path of the i850, you needed either a pair of 16-bit modules or a single 32-bit module, depending on what your board supported. And his board supports 16-bit modules.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>