HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

All...

I have, like many of you, been the unfortunate owner of an HP
Pavilion-series laptop with the infamous weakling power-jack problem.
If you're wondering, this problem is usually typified by symptoms like:

* Spontaneous and instantaneous power-downs of the laptop for no
apparent reason
* Refusal to start or charge a properly inserted battery
* Movement of the AC power adapter plug causing power "glitches"
* "Clicking" noises emerging from the area near the power plug

There are other permutations of the power problems, but this represents
the general theme. I owned a zt1175 that started behaving this way, and
was stunned to discover that once the unit stopped booting up, the only
solution was a new main board at a cost of about $600 - the plug had
started arcing internally and essentially fried the rest of the power
system, and ruined other components in the process.

I've learned that my zt1175 isn't the only one with this problem.
Apparently, myriad variations of Pavilion models suffer from this
chronic design flaw, which apparently HP steadfastly refuses to
acknowledge or support.

I personally think HP should be responsible and accountable for the
defects in their products. I am trying to determine if there are any
other HP laptop owners who have seen their systems come to an untimely
demise because of their power problems, and if sufficient interest is
shown, explore the possibility of some type of class-action against HP.

I have opened an email account at HPLaptopUsers@yahoo.com to collect
information from individuals willing to provide data about their HP
Pavilion laptop power problems. If you are a cuurent or former owner of
an HP Pavilion laptop that has exhibited any of the power problems
described above, and you're willing to share, please send the following
to the above address:

1. Your actual name
2. A real return email address at which you can be contacted.
3. The specific HP laptop you have/had
4. How long you had it
5. The specific type of power problem you encountered
6. Steps you took with HP or third-parties to have it repaired.

Now, I realize some of you will say, "yeah, send all this stuff to some
unknown guy on the Internet, and you'll get a flood of junk mail." Not
so. I am not a spammer, I'm not a junk-mail relay or anything, I'm just
trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and the
project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
steps as I learn what to do next at each step.

My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops, or
provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.

-David Whitney

Note: REplies to the email address posted above
(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond as
soon as I can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The address to which laptop info should be sent is HpLaptopUser
@yahoo.com. I post that again because it appears the original message
did not retain the address properly...

-David

intrepid_dw@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
> don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
the
> project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
> steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
>
> My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
> chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
or
> provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
>
> -David Whitney
>
> Note: REplies to the email address posted above
> (intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
> active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
as
> soon as I can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The address to which laptop information should be sent is HPLaptopUsers
at yahoo.com. The original posting did not correctly capture the
address.

> [...]

> arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
> don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
the
> project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
> steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
>
> My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
> chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
or
> provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
>
> -David Whitney
>
> Note: REplies to the email address posted above
> (intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
> active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
as
> soon as I can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

As the power socket is mounted on the system board it is subject to a
great deal of stress when users knock or pull on the power jack. This
problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.

HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).

If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
which is often all that is required.

The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you will
be up for a reasonable labour charge.

Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :)) that the problem
mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.

> [...]
>>arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
>>don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
>
> the
>
>>project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
>>steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
>>
>>My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
>>chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
>
> or
>
>>provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
>>
>>-David Whitney
>>
>>Note: REplies to the email address posted above
>>(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
>>active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
>
> as
>
>>soon as I can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Primatech:

I appreciate your response. I have to respectfully disagree with you
that it is common across laptops. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop
that is designed to receive the AC power jack fully 80% of its length
into a snug receptacle. It doesn't wiggle. The AC power connector to my
previous HP laptop barely went in 50% of its length, and often just
fell out/off because it did not fit securely on the male portion of the
jack. Further, the hole in the case designed to receive the connector
is fully half-again as large as it needs to be. That means there is
inherently "play" in that connection. Combined with a poor jack design
(as has been described to me by other tech people, so its not an
arbitrary opinion on my part) and this is a recipe for premature
failure.

As far as "heavy-handed" use goes, my Pavilion never left my house - it
was a unit I used for the convenience of not having to be tethered to a
desk to do various development tasks. It was never dropped, bumped, or
handled in what I would describe as a "rough" way.

Unfortunately, what most users (a group in which I must include myself)
discover is that when the power failures become chronic, it is no
longer just a matter of a badly soldered or loose power plug. Internal
arcing from the power jack has scorched elements of the power control
module, thus frying it "beyond economical repair." And this was not a
hack shop; it was a reputable repair center recommended to me.

As far as the generality of the problem goes, I can only offer this.
Another acquaintence (actually, at least three) of mine who has had a
Gateway (the specific model escapes me at the moment) laptop for years
longer than I, takes it to and from work every night, has traveled
literally around the world with it, and has had no such power
connection problems.

I realize two or three data points does not a conclusion make, but I
must make the inference that *someone* is designing their jacks/power
systems more intelligently than HP. And if such problems were truly
ubiquitous across all manufacturers and brands, there would be more of
a general outcry rather than the ones I see that tend to be most
frequent around HP.

At a minimum, users paying anywhere from $1600 to several thousand
dollars for a laptop shouldn't really have to be so inordinately
concerned about the fragility of one component, one that would thus be
so chronically delicate as to mitigate against the utility of having a
laptop in the first place.

-David

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Primatech,

The problem does NOT mainly arise when the user is careless or heavy handed.
My Pavilion never left the desk it was put on after coming out of the box,
and I had only 3 months of use before it failed.
HP knows that this is a worldwide well-known problem with Pavilions, but
they choose to deny it.......
Even when the laptop is still under warranty HP likes to give you a hard
time; their Pick up & Return policy does not work, because they seem to
forget the part where they are supposed to fix it.
I've had the motherboard replaced twice now, the first time I got it back it
did not work at all, the second time it worked for about an hour and then
made a sort of electric buzz and then closed it eyes for good.
Replacing motherboards with ones they got out of other returns is not a good
policy.

Now, I'm still waiting (after 11 days) for a reply from them to either fix
or replace it again.

Pippa.

"primatech" <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> schreef in bericht
> [...]
> >>arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
> >>don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
> >
> > the
> >
> >>project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
> >>steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
> >>
> >>My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
> >>chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
> >
> > or
> >
> >>provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
> >>
> >>-David Whitney
> >>
> >>Note: REplies to the email address posted above
> >>(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
> >>active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
> >
> > as
> >
> >>soon as I can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this is the
worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of metal
that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started to loose
up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they replaced
with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.

I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to save a
few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good quality
parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
My two cents.

Pippa wrote:

> Primatech,
>
> The problem does NOT mainly arise when the user is careless or heavy handed.
> My Pavilion never left the desk it was put on after coming out of the box,
> and I had only 3 months of use before it failed.
> HP knows that this is a worldwide well-known problem with Pavilions, but
> they choose to deny it.......
> Even when the laptop is still under warranty HP likes to give you a hard
> time; their Pick up & Return policy does not work, because they seem to
> forget the part where they are supposed to fix it.
> I've had the motherboard replaced twice now, the first time I got it back it
> did not work at all, the second time it worked for about an hour and then
> made a sort of electric buzz and then closed it eyes for good.
> Replacing motherboards with ones they got out of other returns is not a good
> policy.
>
> Now, I'm still waiting (after 11 days) for a reply from them to either fix
> or replace it again.
>
> Pippa.
>
> "primatech" <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> schreef in bericht
> > As the power socket is mounted on the system board it is subject to a
> > great deal of stress when users knock or pull on the power jack. This
> > problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.
> >
> > HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
> > replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
> > much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).
> >
> > If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
> > jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
> > which is often all that is required.
> >
> > The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you will
> > be up for a reasonable labour charge.
> >
> > Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
> > laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :)) that the problem
> > mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
> > their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.
> >

> > intrepid_dw@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > The address to which laptop information should be sent is HPLaptopUsers
> > > at yahoo.com. The original posting did not correctly capture the
> > > address.
> > >
> > > -David

> > > like:

> > > represents

> > > and

> > > only

> > > untimely

> > > HP.

> > > of

> > > following

> > > some

> > > Not

> > > just

> > > the

> > > or

> > > as

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price without
regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech support
deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody wants
low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low price and
twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:

>Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
>Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this is the
>worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of metal
>that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started to loose
>up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they replaced
>with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
>
>I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
>systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to save a
>few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good quality
>parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
>
>Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
>My two cents.

<SNIP!>

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Cheap?
The Pavilion cost me 1500.- euros which is 1959.- USD!
Maybe that is cheap for you, but for me that is a whole month netto wages...
I was not looking for cheap, that's why I bought this one and on it's own it
is a good machine but totally let down by the connectors HP puts in it and
by
the way they run their tech-support; a guy sounding like a 12-year-old who
doesn't understand what you are talking about should not be employed.

By the way, I finally got the shop to take it back and bought a Toshiba for
the same money.

Pippa.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schreef in bericht
> It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price
without
> regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech
support
> deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody
wants
> low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low
price and
> twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
> PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
> >Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this
is the
> >worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of
metal
> >that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started
to loose
> >up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they
replaced
> >with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
> >
> >I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
> >systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to
save a
> >few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good
quality
> >parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
> >
> >Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
> >My two cents.
> >
> <SNIP!>

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

You're right. 1500 Euros is not cheap. Sadly, the same mentality prevails
across the board in the computer industry. Yeah, the emphasis is on cheap
desktop and tower computers, but the designers and marketeers responsible for
notebooks get caught up in the cheaper-is-better mindset. Add to that the fact
that neither HP nor any other name brand company builds its own computers any
more. They all rely on contract electronics manufacturers (CEM), but twist the
nuts of the CEMs at the same time. I would claim that there was an inadequate
review of the hardware design, construction and maintainability of the HP dog of
a notebook that you had there... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:45:33 +0100, "Pippa" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

>Cheap?
>The Pavilion cost me 1500.- euros which is 1959.- USD!
>Maybe that is cheap for you, but for me that is a whole month netto wages...
>I was not looking for cheap, that's why I bought this one and on it's own it
>is a good machine but totally let down by the connectors HP puts in it and
>by
>the way they run their tech-support; a guy sounding like a 12-year-old who
>doesn't understand what you are talking about should not be employed.
>
>By the way, I finally got the shop to take it back and bought a Toshiba for
>the same money.
>
>Pippa.
>
><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schreef in bericht
>> It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price
>without
>> regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech
>support
>> deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody
>wants
>> low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low
>price and
>> twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
>> PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
>> >Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this
>is the
>> >worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of
>metal
>> >that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started
>to loose
>> >up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they
>replaced
>> >with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
>> >
>> >I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
>> >systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to
>save a
>> >few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good
>quality
>> >parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
>> >
>> >Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
>> >My two cents.
>> >
>> <SNIP!>

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

We did not said you bought a cheap laptop. What Ben is referring to is that everyone
is trying to cut cost to maximize profit. When I was a product design and testing
engineer for IBM back in the late 80's & early 90's, we used to have an engineer
doing what is called MTBF (Mena Time Before Failure) on the product based on
components Spec. I left IBM in the mid 90 and have not worked for other
manufacturer. I have been in the support end since then. I definitely have seen a
drastic changes on components used on Desktop computers. All PII and low end PIII
(slot 1) motherboard (MB) I've dealt with since I came out on my own 2 1/2 years ago
never have bad capacitors. I actually stripping those old system to get the
capacitors off to fix the new MB that are just a year or two old. It is true that
new MB's are cheap but a lot of time, people hate to having to reload the OS and all
the applications. I just bought an IBM Netvista PIII 933MHz system with bad
capacitors on the MB today. It is fun time tonight reworking the MB.

Dewaine

Ben Myers wrote:

> You're right. 1500 Euros is not cheap. Sadly, the same mentality prevails
> across the board in the computer industry. Yeah, the emphasis is on cheap
> desktop and tower computers, but the designers and marketeers responsible for
> notebooks get caught up in the cheaper-is-better mindset. Add to that the fact
> that neither HP nor any other name brand company builds its own computers any
> more. They all rely on contract electronics manufacturers (CEM), but twist the
> nuts of the CEMs at the same time. I would claim that there was an inadequate
> review of the hardware design, construction and maintainability of the HP dog of
> a notebook that you had there... Ben Myers
> <SNIP>

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am just like many others -- bought a HP Pavilion zt1135 and had
(have) power jack problems. I did use my know-how to repair it once
with solder, but the problem roots deeper than the solder. By the time
that you notice that the power jack has issues, the internal components
of the jack are more than likely melted inside. My repairs lasted about
a month -- then the inside of the power jack gave out. I transplanted
another power jack onto the motherboard -- but that proved to be
unhelpful. Now, after 3 repairs; my laptop is dead and 1,200 dollars is
down the drain.
I stand by HP merely because of the name and the typical quality of
craftsmanship that you buy. It's too bad HP won't do the same. A
reputable company such as HP should realize the flaws in their design
and find ways of making it better. Instead, they shrug off such
attempts by satisfied customers wanting to get their machines repaired.
A re-inforced DC Power Jack would not be too much more to put onto each
Mainboard -- and in the long run, they'll get their money back. Toshiba
is going down a good road. A friend of mine purchased a new toshiba
satellite, it's plug is designed for fall out should it be bent in the
wrong direction or put undue stress on the jack.
For someone to say that it's isolated to someone who's careless
shows a complete lack of common sense. I am about the most careful
person with my laptop that you could ever meet. I love that damn thing
-- but it's time to let it go. It's a shame. Buyers beware -- this is
bad craftsmanship and you too -- could be out of hundereds, if not
thousands of hard earned dollars if you buy this product!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Don't confuse the Hewlett-Packard from the old days with today's
Hewlett-Packard. The high quality manufacturer of instrumentation was spun off
as Agilent. The mindset that thought in terms of engineering for high
reliability departed to Agilent. What remains are people who sell schlock
manufactured by others way far away off shore... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Don't confuse the Hewlett-Packard from the old days with today's
> Hewlett-Packard. The high quality manufacturer of instrumentation was spun off
> as Agilent. The mindset that thought in terms of engineering for high
> reliability departed to Agilent. What remains are people who sell schlock
> manufactured by others way far away off shore... Ben Myers

What's funny is they chose the slogan "Innovating the HP way", which was
nauseating to most people in the company. I guess slapping an HP sticker
on an iPod isn't seen as real innovation by people who lack the vision of
Carly.

Dewaine Chan wrote:

> [...]
>> > problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.
>> >
>> > HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
>> > replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
>> > much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).
>> >
>> > If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
>> > jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
>> > which is often all that is required.
>> >
>> > The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you
>> > will be up for a reasonable labour charge.
>> >
>> > Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
>> > laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :)) that the problem
>> > mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
>> > their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.

yea, old george (bush) is busy trying to make class actions illegal. good
ole' george.

--redpILL

drew

My laptop is going back for the second time because of the plug
defect and I don't plug/unplug all the time, just occasionally.
It's still under warrenty.

DREW

My duaghter has a similar problem with her HP laptop. I purcahsed a
new powwer jack (2 for $40), but I can't seem to separate the bottom
portion to replace it. I have removed all the visible screws, but it
seems to be stick near the printer port. Any suggestions????

Have you taken off the keyboards? There are more screw under them.
Under the keyboard my laptop has two medal bars accross the top. the
left one is over the right one and I needed to slide the right bar out
from under the left one to proceed.
I also need to replace my power jack. But, I can't find where to buy
a new one. Any ideas? Also, how are you going to attach the jack,
solder it?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> <intrepid_dw@hotmail.com> wrote:

> * Spontaneous and instantaneous power-downs of the laptop for
> no apparent reason
> * Refusal to start or charge a properly inserted battery
> * Movement of the AC power adapter plug causing power "glitches"
> * "Clicking" noises emerging from the area near the power plug

Has this been reported on the OmniBook 5000CTS?

I was just given a "dead" OB5K that exhibits all of the above.
Sometimes it will actually boot briefly to Win95.

Any known user field fixes or hacks?

I emailed hp tech support and they sent me a link which I clicked on
to order the part.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

HP or Hewlett Packard being the name of the company depending on what
case manager or outsourced Indian tech support rep (but also manager)
you talk to calls it. Cutomer damage is what they are calling any
problem with the power jack, and I am going to scream bloody murder
until my one-year warranty is honored. NO MORE HP PRODUCTS.

http://HewlettPackardLies.blogspot.com/
HPslaughter@yahoo.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?

HP fake warranty

MEvsHP wrote:

> continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
> reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
> about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
> resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
> talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
> they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
> with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
> going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?
>
> HP fake warranty

yea, unplug that doodad BEFORE packing/moving your lappy. that'll keep you
out of the corn-hole house. your lappy and your anus will thank you.

--redpill

I too have the loose AC power connector problem on a Dell Inspiron
8100 -- that cost about $1800. Hardly cheap. The power assemblies
themselves are unreliable. I've gone through about 6 of them. And
the (*&)() at Dell have that ridiculous odd-shaped plug and jack.
Shame on you Mr. Dell.

One workaround that worked was to get an AC battery charger, and then
rotate between the two batteries so that one is in confuser and the
other is being charged. Eventually you'll lose ground as they
discharge faster than they recharge. So the confuser is out of
service for a while until you can catch up.

I then replaced MBD. That worked great for about 6 months. Now the
problem has returned on the replacement. Confuser is now 3 years
old, so question is whether it's worth getting another MBD, or just
biting the bullet and getting a new confuser. Problem with a new
confuser is that it will probably have its own slate of issues.

I boubht the Dell on credit and stopped paying Dell when their product
stopped working. So far they haven't sued me for their money. I hope
they do.