Sign in with
Your question

Abysmal Boot up time

Last response: in Windows 7
September 20, 2012 11:29:11 AM

My computer was running fine, and then I turned it off so that I could clean some of the dust out.

As I'm trying to turn it back on, it has taken literally 40 minutes to get past the MSI splash screen. It takes a full 8 hours (no I am not kidding, nor exaggerating!) to get into Windows 7. And even then, everything is slow. Not like a normal P4/1GB ram (because I have a machine like that that is faster!) slow, but like low framerate slow. Same with the bootup. The huge MSI logo splash screen looks like I'm trying to download an image via dial up, and loads 1/5 of it at a time, over a period of nearly an hour. This process used to be so fast that I could hardly read it.

My motherboard http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-C43.html

My CPU http://ark.intel.com/products/52210

My SSD http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-3-sata-iii-2-5...

My RAM http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=428

My GPU http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

What would cause something like this? I realize that my compressor may have unplugged something, but I can't think of anything that would cause such a slowdown.

More about : abysmal boot time

September 20, 2012 11:38:44 AM

Based on what you say I would point to the RAM as the culprit, though I'm not a pro. It could be a number of things, but RAM seems to be the likely cause to me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 11:40:21 AM

may have created a static discharge while you were cleaning. not good.

pull power cord. push start button to clear reserves. remove battery for 5 minutes ( battery only goes in one way, pay attention to it. ).

..or reset cmos if you know how. try and restart. what happens ?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 11:57:17 AM

check that your cpu fan and gpu fan are working and the cpu heat sink still locked down. most cpu and gpu will throttle back to save themselfs from over heating. also with the cpu powered off reseat the ram and video card and check the 24 and 8 pin power plug and all your cables. you may have a lose cable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 12:04:46 PM

Unplug your storage devices first SSD, DVD, any external storage connectors and wired network cables.

See if the splash screen is still slow. If it isn't then start plugging back in one by one and testing for slow POST.

This has only occurred to me previously when storage devices have failed but could equally be a weird PXE (network boot) issue.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:07:32 PM

Can you geto into the BIOS settings? If you can, try setting it to factory defaults.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 12:43:42 PM

Agreed with noise, had this issue yesterday as a matter of fact, turns out I accidentally bumped into my HDD cables, pushed it in fully and the problem was fixed.
m
l
September 20, 2012 1:16:44 PM

swifty_morgan said:
may have created a static discharge while you were cleaning. not good.

pull power cord. push start button to clear reserves. remove battery for 5 minutes ( battery only goes in one way, pay attention to it. ).

..or reset cmos if you know how. try and restart. what happens ?

I wore an anti-ESD bracelet and was very careful to not touch anything.

Start button as in power on button? What battery are you talking about.. it's a desktop.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 1:27:36 PM

yes to the button........ push and hold for a couple of seconds to drain.................. see that big battery on the mother board ?.............. but if you have the booklet you can see where the cmos jumper is. all you have to do is move it to clear and then put it back.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:07:13 PM

The temperatures and frequencies of the GPU/RAM/CPU are all normal, so they're not doing it on purpose.

Unplugging SSD and HDD: Boot time still bad
Unplugging Ethernet: Still bad
Reseating GPU: Still bad
Holding down the power button for 5 seconds with the power cord unplugged: Still bad
Clearing CMOS: Still bad
Reseating RAM: Still bad

Anything else..?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 8:12:58 PM

you can hold the stupid power button all you want. if you can't follow directions you're hopeless..........

unplug the stupid machine from the wall socket. push the power button to help drain excess power from the board. a few seconds will do that. pull the battery, you know, that really shiny silvery thing about the size of a nickel starring at you from the mother board. put it back in after about 10 seconds............. make sure you put it back the right way now................. plug in machine/boot up. really tough to do isn't it ?
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:18:20 PM

That's what I did... Don't gotta be a jerk about it.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:19:17 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you can hold the stupid power button all you want. if you can't follow directions you're hopeless..........

unplug the stupid machine from the wall socket. push the power button to help drain excess power from the board. a few seconds will do that. pull the battery, you know, that really shiny silvery thing about the size of a nickel starring at you from the mother board. put it back in after about 10 seconds............. make sure you put it back the right way now................. plug in machine/boot up. really tough to do isn't it ?

ROFL - :pt1cable: 

Apologies, couldn't help myself.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 8:24:09 PM

you said you unplugged hd and ssd.......... which one has the opsys on it / can you boot to the bios ? did you try booting with just that drive hooked up ?
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:28:15 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you said you unplugged hd and ssd.......... which one has the opsys on it / can you boot to the bios ? did you try booting with just that drive hooked up ?

Windows 7 is on my SSD. I did not try with just it; though if with both doesn't work and with neither doesn't work, I don't see how having just one of them in would make a difference.

Getting to the BIOS may be able to happen, though it would take literally hours.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 8:31:41 PM

just plug in the drive with the opsys on it. see if it boots or if you can get into the BIOS.

if the bios is screwed up AHCI might be lost and that would cause problems trying to boot to it.

if you put only the HD in it may see the "blank" HD and you might be able to get into the BIOS... ???? .......... if you get into thew BIOS you can change back to AHCI and shut down and pull the HD and plug in the SSD and try to boot to desktop.. ??
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:32:34 PM

Go into your BIOS and find the option to reset everything to optimal settings and reboot. Triple check the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors are firmly plugged in and not dislodged. Result?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 9:01:42 PM

might take a week, lol. actually you don't need a drive to see the BIOS. pull all the memory. put 1 stick back in next to the processor. try to boot.
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:12:15 PM

swifty_morgan said:
might take a week, lol. actually you don't need a drive to see the BIOS. pull all the memory. put 1 stick back in next to the processor. try to boot.

Yes I know that there is no drive required to see the BIOS, which is why I tried using no drives at all to boot.

I did also try with 1, 2, and all 4 sticks of RAM to no avail.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 9:24:47 PM

pull the video card out/try to boot with onboard vid.
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:51:41 PM

Smeg45 said:
Go into your BIOS and find the option to reset everything to optimal settings and reboot. Triple check the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors are firmly plugged in and not dislodged. Result?

I thought that resetting/clearing the CMOS Memory would reset all of the BIOS settings. No? Because getting into BIOS would take hours and I want to be sure that it's not a waste.

They felt pretty firmly connected, but I unplugged and replugged them anyway. No help.
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:52:43 PM

swifty_morgan said:
pull the video card out/try to boot with onboard vid.

Like I said, I reseated the video card. I don't have any onboard video options or any extra cards laying around at the moment, so I'm afraid that I cannot tell if the GPU is the problem or not.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 9:56:02 PM

Have you tried with nothing connected. only cpu, 1 ram stick, and gpu. You don't need a hdd to get into bios afaik. Try that and see if it helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 10:08:32 PM

trying to eliminate power robbing hardware. I still think it got zapped somehow.

but you also mentioned compressor instead of canned air..........

look into any of the pci slots or empty ram slots for debris.

since it's borked............. why not pull it apart and rebuild it ?...... like pull the mobo from the case........ look for debris and reassemble everything.
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:17:08 PM

mouse24 said:
Have you tried with nothing connected. only cpu, 1 ram stick, and gpu. You don't need a hdd to get into bios afaik. Try that and see if it helps.

I tried that. No help.
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:21:09 PM

swifty_morgan said:
trying to eliminate power robbing hardware. I still think it got zapped somehow.

but you also mentioned compressor instead of canned air..........

look into any of the pci slots or empty ram slots for debris.

since it's borked............. why not pull it apart and rebuild it ?...... like pull the mobo from the case........ look for debris and reassemble everything.

I'm not sure how to eliminate that.

I do have this lingering feeling that ESD has borked something.. but I don't even know what would have to break in order to cause this sort of problem.

Yes, I used a compressor because I did not have any canned air on me. I have used the same compressor a few other times on this very PC and others. It was only set to 40PSI or so.

I'm going to leave it off until this weekend when I get the time to completely rebuild it; I am getting new thermal paste delivered (hopefully by Friday) so that should be a good time to redo anyway. I will post back again when I finish that and see how it goes. Maybe I'll post pictures/videos of the entire process as a sort of how to project?

I have for the moment plugged in my ethernet, hdmi, usb 3 hdd, and mouse into my laptop and realized that it is no wimp when it comes to power using like I am used to. Haha.
m
l
!