notsosmartafterall

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I have a Compaq Computer and it has 6 USB Ports. 4 of them went out and I can only use 2. I have a hub u sing one of them to supply 4 more outputs, but I would like to change the original ones. There are 2 in the front of the tower connected via cable and the others are on the Motherboard. Replaceable without changing the motherboard?

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Depends on what part is damaged, a chip? Which ones work of the front and back? Tried disconnecting some port's devices, to see if the others come alive due to hardware conflicts? There are add-on usb cards for sale, to built inside your computer, with front or back connections.

notsosmartafterall

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
well, thanks for the reply. i forgot that i posted this here! lol. anyway, the 2 front ones dont work, and two of the 4 rear ones dont. ive tried plugging other things into all the ports to test and they are defintely the problem. ive seen the usb cards, but i would like to repair these if possible, cause i am going to sell the computer and really dont want to sel it damaged. what do you think?

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Have a look at device manager.

If it is a software issue, you will notice a yellow or red icon against the non-functioning devices, it is repairable.

If you are lucky you will just have to download USB drivers.