INSTALLATION ERROR WHEN INSTALLING XP HOME & PRO EDITION

I keep trying to install Windows XP (tried both professional & home edition)
and when it starts checking my system, it gives me the following error (the
error comes when it is checking (which is the 4rth messsage on bottom of
window), "Setup is loading files (Kernel DLL)".

I then get the error message "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The
error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit"

I have searched high and low to find Error Code 4 in microsoft's web page
and have found nothing. Can anyone help me?

Thanks for the link, but I have no idea where to go when I get to that
page. Can you help me out a bit.

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please see if the following helps:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=File+setupdd.sys+could+not+be+loaded.++The+error+code+is+4&start=0&scoring=d&
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "sfbayscorpian" <sfbayscorpian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep trying to install Windows XP (tried both professional & home
> >edition)
> > and when it starts checking my system, it gives me the following error
> > (the
> > error comes when it is checking (which is the 4rth messsage on bottom of
> > window), "Setup is loading files (Kernel DLL)".
> >
> > I then get the error message "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The
> > error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit"
> >
> > I have searched high and low to find Error Code 4 in microsoft's web page
> > and have found nothing. Can anyone help me?

"sfbayscorpian" <sfbayscorpian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A8CFF50A-C0FE-4B17-B372-503BA0BDFD22@microsoft.com
> I keep trying to install Windows XP (tried both professional & home
> edition) and when it starts checking my system, it gives me the
> following error (the error comes when it is checking (which is the
> 4rth messsage on bottom of window), "Setup is loading files (Kernel
> DLL)".
>
> I then get the error message "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded.
> The error code is 4. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit"
>
> I have searched high and low to find Error Code 4 in microsoft's web
> page and have found nothing. Can anyone help me?

Windows XP problems with damaged or incompatible hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com