Installed a new mobo and ran into some problems.

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hey guys, low computer knowledge person here and I have recently come into a problem after replacing my mobo/processor/gpu from my old computer. After hooking up the computer and booting it up, it hits the mobo screen then quickly goes into the black screen that says that windows 7 can not be started and gives me the two choices of system startup restore and start windows normally.

Starting windows normally unfortunately returns me to the black screen and so I tried out the restore but to no avail it was unable to fix my problem.

Also, I was stupid enough to not transfer any files from my hard drive off to a backup.

My two questions are if it's possible for me to put my hard drive in a friends computer and take the files off there and also if there is any way to fix my hard drive after changing motherboards.

Thank you for your time and help.

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Would booting off the windows cd and choosing to repair work?

If i were to try and swap files from hdd to hdd i would set the one you don't want to boot from as slave, then make sure in the bios that you have the correct order to boot from, might even disable any option to even try to boot off the slave hdd.

Seems to me like like there is an easier way. Have you tried playing with the bios and setting everything to default? I like playing with settings, but i usually accept the fact that a clean install might be the end result =)

How about grabbing a spare hd and try to boot off that and setting your current hd as slave. Just spitballing here

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I unfortunately do not have the original windows cd and using the repair function from the restore option did not work at all.

As for the bios I have no idea how to work it at all. Same with a slave (No idea what a slave is o_O)

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

What would I need to to do if I am unable to obtain the original installation media? Would getting a news windows 7 cd and key work?

You don't need Linux to recover data files. Simply remove the drive, put it in an enclosure or attach it to an adapter, and hook it up to another computer as an external drive. All you have to do then is copy the data to some other media. Linux will work if none of the other options are available.

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any adapters. Is there a guide for hooking it up as an external or is it just hooking the hard drive up via sata cables (to my friend's motherboard that is)?

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Allrighty then, I think this is the step by step on what I'll do then.

1. Put my old hard drive into his computer than hook it up via sata.
2. Start his computer normally.
3. Look in his my computer for my hard drive then transfer it to an external.
4. Reinstall windows 7 to my old hard drive.

Is there anything I should be careful about when booting up with my hard drive on his computer? I'm worried that it might boot mine accidentally and cause damage to his hard drive or anything else. Also, sorry about my fairly nonexistent computer knowledge and thank you so much for your time in helping me with this problem. I really appreciate it =D

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
wait, how are you going to install windows? If you have any window cd you can use that to repair windows. not sure if that will fix but it's worth a try.

I am not 100% sure on sata drives, but for the old ide drives you had to set 1 drive the master and 1 the slave. this was done by swapping caps in the little pins over near where the plug ins are.

Also, would pulling in the HD After the system as loaded windows harm anything? basically is sata plug and play.

And bios isn't that hard, it's just a basic interface you can access by hitting F2 right after it POSTS ( beeps) this is where you can set everything back to default and see if that fixes it or change the order of boot up drives, all kinda good things.

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Sata drive worked for my friend's computer and we're transferring the files right now.

But thanks for the BIOS information, I'll check in it when I put the hard drive back back in my computer. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also, I don't have my original install disk so I'll be looking for one probably through my university in the next coming days.

Holychrono

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

I messed around with some of the settings on the bios and windows managed to start and repair! Unfortunately, when windows 7 was reinstalling I got some code purple that meant that HP didn't like how I wasn't using their hardware or something like that =/

Either way, thank all of you for your help in this matter! =D