Meaning of "System" in Security

a b 8 Security
July 18, 2005 5:39:36 AM

Hi,

In the professional mode when right clicking a folder,
PROPERTIES>SECURITY tab there is a window titled "Group or Username".

I was just wondering if SYTSTEM means the computer, i.e. if other users
log onto the same computer will they gain access rights to folders
which the group SYTSTEM has been assigned to?

Many thanks,
Ess
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 18, 2005 10:46:25 AM

Hi Ess,

"System" is access for system (internal) processes, these should not be
adjusted. New users will inherit whatever permissions their user group has
(limited, administrators, etc.), as well as "everyone".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<Ess101@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In the professional mode when right clicking a folder,
> PROPERTIES>SECURITY tab there is a window titled "Group or Username".
>
> I was just wondering if SYTSTEM means the computer, i.e. if other users
> log onto the same computer will they gain access rights to folders
> which the group SYTSTEM has been assigned to?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ess

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 18, 2005 10:55:37 AM

Fantastic, thank you very much!! :)
a b 8 Security
July 18, 2005 3:26:22 PM

"Ess101@gmail.com" wrote:

> In the professional mode when right clicking a folder,
> PROPERTIES>SECURITY tab there is a window titled "Group or Username".
>
> I was just wondering if SYTSTEM means the computer, i.e. if other
> users log onto the same computer will they gain access rights to
> folders which the group SYTSTEM has been assigned to?

In addition to Rick's reply, this article may shed some light on the
"Built-in Security Principals"

--
d-d
Anonymous