Disk Defragmenter never gets past 1%

Hi,
I have XP Home. I want to do a drive image for safe keeping. To prepare
for this I'm trying to defrag. I've tried disk clean-up, Chkdsk
variations, defrag in safe mode and a trial version of PerfectDisk7.
All of these defrag methods show 1% fragmentation (2% file
fragmentation). The analysis works ok, then the defragmentation sticks
at 1%. I've exited all other programs and ended all possible processes
in the Task Manager.
I understand that at this level of fragmentation, defragmentation isn't
needed but as I understand it, defragmentation should still run if
asked to do so.
I would prefer to make a drive image of a system that is fully working,
so can I repair this problem?
Will a repair reinstall of XP be effective?
TIA
Lila Duncan
3 answers Last reply
More about disk defragmenter past

    Alias wrote:
    > Did you disable your anti virus auto scan before defragging?
    >
    > --
    > Alias

    Thanks, yes I exited all other programs and ended all possible
    processes
    in the Task Manager.
    What I didn't do, during the whole weekend I've been trying this, was
    to write a Usenet message asking for help, until this morning. This
    worked it's mysterious flukery once again. As soon as I pressed the
    message send button, the defrag started to work. :-)
    Regards,
    Lila Duncan

    "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have XP Home. I want to do a drive image for safe keeping. To prepare
    > for this I'm trying to defrag. I've tried disk clean-up, Chkdsk
    > variations, defrag in safe mode and a trial version of PerfectDisk7.
    > All of these defrag methods show 1% fragmentation (2% file
    > fragmentation). The analysis works ok, then the defragmentation sticks
    > at 1%. I've exited all other programs and ended all possible processes
    > in the Task Manager.
    > I understand that at this level of fragmentation, defragmentation isn't
    > needed but as I understand it, defragmentation should still run if
    > asked to do so.
    > I would prefer to make a drive image of a system that is fully working,
    > so can I repair this problem?
    > Will a repair reinstall of XP be effective?
    > TIA
    > Lila Duncan

    "LilaDuncan" wrote

    > Alias wrote:
    >> Did you disable your anti virus auto scan before defragging?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    > Thanks, yes I exited all other programs and ended all possible
    > processes
    > in the Task Manager.
    > What I didn't do, during the whole weekend I've been trying this, was
    > to write a Usenet message asking for help, until this morning. This
    > worked it's mysterious flukery once again. As soon as I pressed the
    > message send button, the defrag started to work. :-)
    > Regards,
    > Lila Duncan

    LOL!
    --