Sign in with
Your question

Good gaming monitor 24" minimum

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 19, 2008 9:39:39 AM

Hi all,

Just wondering on your opinion. I'm looking to buy a new LCD monitor. I want it to be minimum 24" and I'd like it to have HDMI. The ones I know of so far are the new Dell 2408wfp which is out pretty soon in the UK or the Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM which is 26" and also out in a few weeks.
I pretty tempted to go with the Samsung I just think it may not be a good gamer and also its price (£430 approx. $840) seems pretty cheap for something of that size.

The price of the 2707wfp is falling but I think I may go blind sitting next to it and it doesn't have HDMI support.

So any opinions or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
February 19, 2008 6:58:00 PM

I was looking at monitors with similar preferences in mind, except HDMI thats merely a bonus. The monitor I have decided on, this decision was made only a few days ago, is the BenQ FP241VW. This monitor has HDMI, and is made by one of the most respected companies for high quality computer monitors. Also it does not have a TN panel, 6-bit panel which is only able to produce 262,000 colors, but can mix to form the 16.7 million its rated at. The BenQ has an 8-bit panel which can produce ALL 16.7 million colors without mixing or dithering. The response time of non-TN panel monitors seems low and inadequate compared to TN panels, yet the actual response time ratings on all monitors are nearly useless, and as stated above TN monitors look terrible when you have seen the alternative. The response time is usually rated by GTG, which is grey to grey. This does not give you an adequate perspective on whether the monitor will ghost terribly, or not at all. BTB, black to black, is the other rating that is used, but less commonly, yet slightly more informative, but the real test is in CTC, color to color, and On/Off ratings. The BenQ, just as a monitor ghosts slightly, but all non-TN panels do. The great thing about this monitor however is it has settings that allow it to format the monitor to prepare for desktop viewing in Standard setting, picture viewing in Picture setting, movie viewing in Movie setting, most gaming in Action Game setting, race gaming with Racing Game setting, and Dynamic setting. This is supposed to effectively neutralize ghosting, and many reviews say that it does very well at attaining that goal. The only down side of the BenQ is that the stand is very constricting so the monitor only tilts, no swiveling or adjustable height, but thats minor when your getting great clearity and color with minimal or no ghosting. All and all this monitor seems to be great, and is priced slightly below the Dell 2407WFP-HC, which is most likely in the same price range if not less than the 2408WFP, so its relatively affordable, and I promise it will look better than that Samsung, since its only a TN panel and TN = terrible picture.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'll keep this thread in my sights so ask any questions you still have, and I'll do my best to answer them.
February 19, 2008 7:59:31 PM

Thanks for that Blood_Raven you seem to know what your talking about. This seems like a great monitor and it looks great too its just its a bit more than I'm able to spend on a monitor. I'm only 15 and don't really have a proper source of income apart from the lengthy process of saving pocket money! If it was under the £500 mark then I may be able to take it into consideration but its just a bit much. I'm going to keep to doing some research but thanks for your help.
Related resources
February 20, 2008 12:12:41 AM

I'm sorry, I had thought that the price would be below 500 pounds, but I admit I have absolutely zero knowledge of money conversion and such. I'll check to see what I can find, also feel free to post options, and non-TN panels usually have viewing angles of 178 degrees, and 6 ms is pretty much standard. I'm also 16 years old, and am due to start a job soon, so I will be saving for the BenQ after I ditch this ancient 7600 GT for a 8800 GTS G92, though I know the BenQ is insanely expensive for my abilities. I would rather not upgrade my monitor in a year or two. Good luck and happy searching.
February 20, 2008 6:35:51 PM

I have found the original version of the FP241VW, for below your max price point, with free shipping. Its the FP241W, and its nearly impossible to find over here in the states, but it is at a nice price point over there. This monitor should look equally magnificent as the VW, and has HDMI, the only difference is that it has a much less restricting stand, for better or worse, and it might not come with the 6 settings the VW did. That said, I would not worry about ghosting much, if at all, the monitor is built for movies and gaming. If you can purchase this monitor I promise it will live up to it's reputation. Enjoy and post whether you have decided on it or if you are still looking, I'm happy to help, as are many others on TH forum.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/657/864/-/3326675/BenQ-FP2...
February 22, 2008 10:28:30 AM

Cheers for the advice The_Blood_Raven but I have decided to go with the new Dell Ultrasharp 2408wfp which has HDMI input and full HD 1080p support which is exactly what I wanted. Should be here within a couple of weeks as it was a preorder. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks.
February 24, 2008 3:54:38 PM

I just bought the Gateway FHD2400 24", and this thing kicks ass!!!! It is beautiful, and a gamers dream. Only issue is if you are running anyhitng other than Vista, DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED SOFTWARE, IT WILL CRASH YOUR SYSTEM!!!! Just plug and play that's it. I bought my Gateway FHD2400 24" @ Fry's for $549. Good luck.
February 24, 2008 7:05:02 PM

bryan240g said:
I just bought the Gateway FHD2400 24", and this thing kicks ass!!!! It is beautiful, and a gamers dream. Only issue is if you are running anyhitng other than Vista, DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED SOFTWARE, IT WILL CRASH YOUR SYSTEM!!!! Just plug and play that's it. I bought my Gateway FHD2400 24" @ Fry's for $549. Good luck.

Seems overpriced for a TN panel.
February 24, 2008 7:39:27 PM

Yeah it may be good for some people I just wanted to avoid a TN panel.
September 5, 2009 10:24:25 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I have found the original version of the FP241VW, for below your max price point, with free shipping. Its the FP241W, and its nearly impossible to find over here in the states, but it is at a nice price point over there. This monitor should look equally magnificent as the VW, and has HDMI, the only difference is that it has a much less restricting stand, for better or worse, and it might not come with the 6 settings the VW did. That said, I would not worry about ghosting much, if at all, the monitor is built for movies and gaming. If you can purchase this monitor I promise it will live up to it's reputation. Enjoy and post whether you have decided on it or if you are still looking, I'm happy to help, as are many others on TH forum.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/657/864/-/3326675/BenQ-FP2...

hi raven, I read ur post to that young fellow and was impressed you took the time to help. if you have more time i have a question. I am not pc smart. Im a gamer with athalon fx 60 asus 939 mobo nividia 9800gtx. My pc went blk screen, thought it was the fx 60 ... turns out to be asus mobo... they wont give me new 1 they said warranty is from date of build... not day i got it. so i decided to upgrade to i7 core 950 wit the evga x58 mobo, corsair ddr3 , evga 295 co-op, viewsonic 24'' vx2433wm. I was just going to order when i went to toms to check about monitors and saw ur post. So what do do think. Looking forward to your advice ty joker ( my gaming name).
!