freelancer

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003

Since installing xp I have not been able to access my floppy drive. The
light is on and it makes something of a noise and I have changed the drive
but with no success. When I try to access it I get a message that reads
'Please insert a dirk in to drive A'. According to the management system the
devices is working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
drivers but still to no avail. Any suggestions? All will be gratefully
appreciated

"freelancer" <freelancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing xp I have not been able to access my floppy drive. The
> light is on and it makes something of a noise and I have changed the drive
> but with no success. When I try to access it I get a message that reads
> 'Please insert a dirk in to drive A'. According to the management system
> the
> devices is working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> drivers but still to no avail. Any suggestions? All will be gratefully
> appreciated

Is the light on all the time? This is a sympton of having the cable plugged
in backwards.

Kerry

null

freelancer wrote:

> Since installing xp I have not been able to access my floppy drive. The
> light is on and it makes something of a noise and I have changed the drive
> but with no success. When I try to access it I get a message that reads
> 'Please insert a dirk in to drive A'. According to the management system the
> devices is working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> drivers but still to no avail. Any suggestions? All will be gratefully
> appreciated

This may or may not help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140060

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

I'd check the IDE floppy cable to see if it plugged in the right way round.
The pink stripe along the grey IDE cable should connect to pin 1 so check
your pc/motherboard manual and make sure that the connection that goes into
the motherboard is connected to pin 1 and the connection to the floppy drive
is also connected to pin 1.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"freelancer" <freelancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing xp I have not been able to access my floppy drive. The
> light is on and it makes something of a noise and I have changed the drive
> but with no success. When I try to access it I get a message that reads
> 'Please insert a dirk in to drive A'. According to the management system
> the
> devices is working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> drivers but still to no avail. Any suggestions? All will be gratefully
> appreciated

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"freelancer" <freelancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing xp I have not been able to access my floppy drive. The
> light is on and it makes something of a noise and I have changed the drive
> but with no success. When I try to access it I get a message that reads
> 'Please insert a dirk in to drive A'. According to the management system
> the
> devices is working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
> drivers but still to no avail. Any suggestions? All will be gratefully
> appreciated

Try the links below

In Win XP Will not read floppy drives or diskettes.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282470

Floppy will not format under Win XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

I think this is the 'current' hardware compatibility link for x86 and
caution,
if that's a new dell box, dell aint too good on following 'industry
standard'
PC clone rules. The biggest problems are usually in the video card and
(you've learned this) scsi or ata disk controller. try at first:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

Cause 1: This error can be caused if the Drive Image 2002 virtual floppy
files have been compressed by Windows XP. (The "Disk Cleanup" feature in
Windows XP has an option to compress files on NTFS partitions if those files
have not been accessed for a specific amount of time.) When Drive Image
reboots to true DOS mode to perform an imaging task, it is unable to find
the virtual floppy files it needs to perform the task since DOS cannot
access files that Windows XP has compressed.