Spyware software

I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running an
XP system.

Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at regular
intervals on my system.

Kind regards.
19 answers Last reply
More about spyware software

    "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message

    >I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am
    >running an XP system.
    >
    > Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to
    > run at regular intervals on my system.

    Yes, they are good choices.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Julia" wrote

    >I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running an
    >XP system.
    >
    > Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    > regular intervals on my system.
    >
    > Kind regards.

    Spywareblaster cannot be "run". It just protects you while you are surfing.
    You should also get Spywareguard from the same place you got the blaster.
    Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.

    --
    Alias

    Thank you.

    Please can you let me know how to switch to safe-mode? Do I install Adware
    and Spybot under my 'normal' login?

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Julia" wrote
    >
    >>I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running
    >>an XP system.
    >>
    >> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    >> regular intervals on my system.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >
    > Spywareblaster cannot be "run". It just protects you while you are
    > surfing. You should also get Spywareguard from the same place you got the
    > blaster. Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.

    Why? I never have.

    These are three excellent free programs. I frequently install them for
    clients and show them how to use.

    Note that SpywareBlaster can and SHOULD be run periodically to update the
    protection it provides. Download any updates and then enable all
    protection.

    re. Safe Mode - The reason to run spyware cleaners in safe mode is that
    some parasites, which might otherwise load in a normal boot, may not be
    loaded in safe mode and are easier to remove. Both Adaware and Spybot will
    try to identify such parasites in a normal boot, and if unable to kill the
    running process and remove them, will ask permission to run on your next
    reboot (always say yes) and will try to remove them - roughly equivalent to
    a safe mode boot.

    Unfortunately, as these parasites have gotten more sophisticated, some do
    load in safe mode and resist removal in various ways. Adaware and Spybot
    will work well against many common items, but will often not be sufficient
    for a massively infected machine.
    --

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Julia" wrote
    >
    >>I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running
    >>an XP system.
    >>
    >> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    >> regular intervals on my system.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >
    > Spywareblaster cannot be "run". It just protects you while you are
    > surfing. You should also get Spywareguard from the same place you got the
    > blaster. Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    "Julia" wrote

    > Thank you.

    You're welcome.

    > Please can you let me know how to switch to safe-mode?

    Hit F8 as your computer boots, after the beep, and then choose Safe Mode
    from the list. When you are done, just reboot normally and it will take back
    to Normal Mode.

    > Do I install Adware and Spybot under my 'normal' login?

    If you have an administrator account, yes.
    --
    Alias

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julia" wrote
    >>
    >>>I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running
    >>>an XP system.
    >>>
    >>> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    >>> regular intervals on my system.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards.
    >>
    >> Spywareblaster cannot be "run". It just protects you while you are
    >> surfing. You should also get Spywareguard from the same place you got the
    >> blaster. Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    As the PC starts up press the F8 key and that will be just after the BIOS
    has finished running. If you see the windows startup screen you were to
    slow. Then just scroll to safe mode startup and press enter.

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote

    Because I said so :-)

    --
    Alias

    > "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote
    > > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote
    > >>
    > >> Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > Why? I never have.
    >
    > Because I said so :-)

    ROTFL!

    Please can you let me know why AdAware and Spybot need to be run in
    safe-mode?

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Julia" wrote
    >
    >>I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running
    >>an XP system.
    >>
    >> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    >> regular intervals on my system.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >
    > Spywareblaster cannot be "run". It just protects you while you are
    > surfing. You should also get Spywareguard from the same place you got the
    > blaster. Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode.
    >
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    They only need to be run in Safe Mode if they don't work in normal (Windows)
    mode, Julia.

    Check for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    When all else fails, HijackThis
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    use. It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am
    >> running an XP system.
    >>
    >> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to
    >> run at regular intervals on my system.
    >
    > Yes, they are good choices.

    *Ad-aware*, hopefully. <wink>

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >> "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I
    >>> am
    >>> running an XP system.
    >>>
    >>> Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to
    >>> run at regular intervals on my system.
    >>
    >> Yes, they are good choices.
    >
    > *Ad-aware*, hopefully. <wink>

    Yup! And Spybot Search and Destroy, hopefully. ;-)

    > Please can you let me know why AdAware and Spybot need to be run in
    > safe-mode?

    They don't. he's joshing.

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote

    > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote

    >> Please can you let me know why AdAware and Spybot need to be run in
    >> safe-mode?
    >
    > They don't. he's joshing.

    No, I wasn't joking. See GTS' post for why.

    --
    Alias

    > "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote
    >
    > > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote
    >
    > >> Please can you let me know why AdAware and Spybot need to be run in
    > >> safe-mode?
    > >
    > > They don't. he's joshing.
    >
    > No, I wasn't joking. See GTS' post for why.

    Yes I've seen it - it's the first I'VE heard of that.

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote
    >>
    >> > "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote

    >> > They don't. he's joshing.
    >>
    >> No, I wasn't joking. See GTS' post for why.
    >>

    > Yes I've seen it - it's the first I'VE heard of that.

    You learn something new every day.

    --
    Alias

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running an
    >XP system.
    >
    > Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    > regular intervals on my system.
    >
    > Kind regards.

    I have been running Microsoft Antispyware Beta1 for several months and
    it has been excellent, it cleaned out my system,
    and since then nothing has got through.

    cheers

    Daniel
    "Julia" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been recommended Adware, Spybot and Spywareblaster. I am running an
    >XP system.
    >
    > Please can you confirm that these are the most appropriate to run at
    > regular intervals on my system.
    >
    > Kind regards.

Microsoft Spyware Software Windows XP