Samsung 2493HM and HPW2408H

keepon

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Good morning everyone, I would love to buy a 24" LCD, but want to make sure I buy the right one. Hate buying a LCD and two weeks after find out I bought the wrong one.
I always had Samsung LCD and they look good and the image is nice.
If someone can shed some light in telling me if I am looking at good monitors or for the same price I could get something better. At the moment at FS abs BB, I can pick these two models for $450.00Can

Thanks for the help....KeepOn

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The HP is nice, but both are TN panels, or 6-bit panels. A 6-bit panel can only produce 262,000 colors, even though they are rated at 16.7 million colors. The reason for this is that 6-bit panels use a dithering effect which tricks your eyes into seeing all 16.7 million. As you can most likely guess there is a large difference between 6-bit panels and the panels that produce all 16.7 million colors, these are 8-bit panels. Not only would the colors look much better, but the entire screen would look sharper, reducing and eliminating and blur or bleeding that is common on 6-bit panels. Naturally the monitors that use 8-bit panels are more expensive, but it is worth it. If it is too expensive then, as I said above, I would have to say the HP is your best bet, being a person who has owned 3 Samsung LCDs you can trust me when I say that Samsung's 24" monitors do not have the quality one would expect from the company.

Here are some options from BenQ, a company that specializes in high quality monitors:

My monitor
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2835740&CatId=2775

The cheaper 6-bit version
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3440122&CatId=2775

Hope this helps, and good luck.

keepon

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks Raven for the reply. Info helpped me to understand quality between the 6 and 8 bit panel. Benq at 600.00 bucks is going over my budget. In the beginning I was looking at a 22 inch....since that is becoming standatd, I told myself if I get a 24, I won't regret it in 6 months. Now, I am stuck, I wanted to go to BB and FS today to buy it.
One reason I was thinking of Samsung, is it has a three year garenty compare to the HP model. I mostly play around with skins and excel. Another thing, I am 50 years old, so I am half blind. So you really think, I would see a difference. And the beq, you showed me of 6 bit, is there a big differents betwwen the models I wanted...