Bruce

I have an EVGA 7800GTX SLI setup. The game tells me my hardware is not
powerful enough to run the game. The Microsoft website says "Note: The game
may mis-detect the GeForce 7800 as being below minimum specification and
display a warning. This issue is fixed with the retail version of the game "
- I beg to differ....

If I run the game at any resolution over 800X600 it locks up. I even tried
the Gamespy patch to no avail.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on another patch, or what I could
do to get this working?

You're not describing the same thing. You didn't say you were getting the
error message. You simply lock up at higher screen resolutions. Have you
checked the nVidia website for updated video drivers?

--
Geoffrey Cohen
Microsoft® MVP

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an EVGA 7800GTX SLI setup. The game tells me my hardware is not
> powerful enough to run the game. The Microsoft website says "Note: The
> game
> may mis-detect the GeForce 7800 as being below minimum specification and
> display a warning. This issue is fixed with the retail version of the game
> "
> - I beg to differ....
>
> If I run the game at any resolution over 800X600 it locks up. I even
> tried
> the Gamespy patch to no avail.
>
> Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on another patch, or what I could
> do to get this working?

Bruce, I'm having same exact problem. I'm running 2xBFG 7800GTX in SLI. Game
will just lock up in all video modes. I am using the latest video drivers
(77.77). The game will randomly decide to work for short periods of time,
just enough to get me interested before it locks. I hope there will be some
kind of work around or patch for this I would really like to play this game.

"Geoffrey Cohen [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> You're not describing the same thing. You didn't say you were getting the
> error message. You simply lock up at higher screen resolutions. Have you
> checked the nVidia website for updated video drivers?
>
> --
> Geoffrey Cohen
> Microsoft® MVP
> Windows PC Games
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an EVGA 7800GTX SLI setup. The game tells me my hardware is not
> > powerful enough to run the game. The Microsoft website says "Note: The
> > game
> > may mis-detect the GeForce 7800 as being below minimum specification and
> > display a warning. This issue is fixed with the retail version of the game
> > "
> > - I beg to differ....
> >
> > If I run the game at any resolution over 800X600 it locks up. I even
> > tried
> > the Gamespy patch to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on another patch, or what I could
> > do to get this working?

Bruce

Obviously, I'm getting the error message - otherwise I wouldn't have posted
the info about the error message.... Thanks for the curt reply....

Yes, I'm running the latest Nvidia WHQL drivers ver 77.77.

DirectX passes all tests (video, audio, directplay, and network).

ALL other games I run on the system run flawlessly - Doom3, Half-Life2,
Battlefield2, FarCry, Guild Wars, Empire Earth II, Brothers In Arms, Splinter
Cell I, II, and III. The only game I currently have problems with is Dungeon
Siege II - hence the post asking if anyone knows of a patch. Geoffrey, if
you have contacts inside Microsoft's games division, pleaselet them know the
game is still broken for those of us running high-end SLI rigs (like Michael
H. and I).

Bruce.

"Geoffrey Cohen [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> You're not describing the same thing. You didn't say you were getting the
> error message. You simply lock up at higher screen resolutions. Have you
> checked the nVidia website for updated video drivers?
>
> --
> Geoffrey Cohen
> Microsoft® MVP
> Windows PC Games
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an EVGA 7800GTX SLI setup. The game tells me my hardware is not
> > powerful enough to run the game. The Microsoft website says "Note: The
> > game
> > may mis-detect the GeForce 7800 as being below minimum specification and
> > display a warning. This issue is fixed with the retail version of the game
> > "
> > - I beg to differ....
> >
> > If I run the game at any resolution over 800X600 it locks up. I even
> > tried
> > the Gamespy patch to no avail.
> >
> > Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on another patch, or what I could
> > do to get this working?

Unfortunately, the error with the game misreporting the nVidia 7800 chipset,
is a driver issue and can only be corrected with an updated driver. The
game, in order to determine which video card exists, looks only at installed
drivers. It has no utility to physically poll a hardware device. You
didn't mention any other Microsoft games, and unfortunately, I am not as
familiar with the games you did mention. I will continue to pass along
information though as I have yet to determine if it's the game itself
receiving the incorrect information or if DirectX is involved in any way.