Sign in with
Your question

HP e9150t vs. Dell Studio XPS - Need buying help

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 18, 2009 4:46:51 PM

Can anyone give me any insight on the HP e9150t and/or Dell Studio XPS destop systems?

I've looked at both and have prices on a system that has a Intel I7 920 CPU, 8 GB Memory and other similar hardware. Price-wise the Dell is $150 cheaper but the HP has a 1 GB graphic card vs. 512 MB for the Dell. I've read a lot of reviews on the Studio XPS and have picked up on a lot of reports that it will overheat and the fan will kick on at such high speed it sound like an airplane taking off and is either on at high speed or off. I have zero info on the e9150t and I'm guessing that it is very new. Can anyone help me with info on either system?

Since my current system has a generic motherboard and parts I have no experience with either Dell or HP. I do know that to build a comperable system as either the e9150t or the XPS I will end up spending more money for the desktop which won't even include a monitor but I'm concerned about what I may be giving up with either HP or Dell.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

More about : e9150t dell studio xps buying

July 19, 2009 3:19:09 PM

Go with HP, less problems later on and have better quality parts, and i have had a crappy experience with Dells
m
l
July 19, 2009 4:20:52 PM

Have you had any experience with either of the HP/Dell models or is your recommendation just a general recommendation? Also what kind of negative experiences have you had with Dells? Although the Dell is less expensive, I've gotten the run around on price, and the last Dell sales guy I spoke with wouldn't give me a straight answer on whether the loud fan was still an issue or not. He basically said if the fan came on it was "working as designed" but every Dell and HP that I've ever come across was very quiet if not pretty much noiseless. Naturally price is important but if the machine has "issues" then it may be worth spending a bit more to be happy. Have you had any experience with HP or Dell Support? If I buy either system I'll be getting if with 2 year on site service.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2009 3:32:49 PM

Hi Moondoggy,

For years I have purchased and recommended Dell systems and I never thought I'd say this, but I would buy the HP system. Whichever system you decide to buy, try to buy it through Costco Wholesale. Costco.com offers both Dell systems and HP systems that you can customize. If you're not a Costco member, it's worth the $50.00 membership fee. Costco's computer prices are usually very good, Costco usually doubles the manufacturer's warranty, Costco has a liberal 90-day return policy on computers, and Costco offers Concierge Service for technical support. With Costco's Concierge Service, you speak with knowledgeable support people in the U. S. and, if they can't help you, they usually patch you through to the manufacturer's U. S. based tech support so that you don't have to talk to an offshore call center where people read from a script.

In late August, 2008, I purchased a Dell XPS 420 from Costco.com. It was a nice system with an Intel Q6600 quad core processor, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HD, and a 24" monitor. My first disappointment was fan noise. From the initial boot, the fan sounded like a small plane readying for takeoff, and that noise continued for as long as I had the system. Then, in late October, the power supply failed and had to be replaced. Next, in December, the hard drive failed and had to be replaced. I would have returned the system at that point, but Costco's 90-day return period had expired. However, the final straw was the failure of the DVD-ROM drive in April, 2009. In each case, Costco's Concierge Service and Dell support were great. Replacement components were shipped to me overnight and, had it been necessary, Dell would have sent a technician to replace the component. However, the system was a primary computer in my business, and I had lost faith in the system. I wrote to Costco and explained the situation and, although it was well past the 90-day return period, Costco let me return the system for a full refund. My confidence in Dell hardware was shaken, so I purchased a similarly configured HP system. So far, it has run flawlessly.

I have no experience with HP's Pavilion Elite e9150t series, but I believe the e9150t replaced the HP Pavilion Elite m9650f which received the highest full-size desktop rating from ConsumerReports.org. I will be purchasing another system for my business before the end of the year and, if I were purchasing today, I would configure an HP Pavilion Elite e9180t through Costco.com.

m
l
August 10, 2009 4:16:34 PM

I have used Dells and they are very unstable, they easily crash and lose par life easily.
Hp is good in customer service too
m
l
August 12, 2009 3:36:58 PM

most of the high end dell systems I see come w\ an ati 4350, and if you're buying a high end system you probably want to game on it... so you will end up wanting to upgrade to another video card probably.

I've had alot of dell systems with no problems. The HP's I have do seem a bit more solid and well built but when it comes to recommending a pre-built system I usually recommend Dell because they usually have some good deals out there.
m
l
a b α HP
August 14, 2009 7:01:14 PM

If you want it for gaming, buy the cheapest one you can with the CPU that you want. You can get a video card and PSU yourself for a lot cheaper than dell/hp upgrades.

There are many users out there who have a preference for Dell or HP. And they continue to buy that brand. I've had many of both brands in my shop for repairs. I wouldn't say one brand is much better than the other.
m
l
September 26, 2009 8:33:51 PM

All you need to know about the e9150 and e9180 lines of computers from HP can be discovered by reading this thread in their user forums:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=lo...

The bottom line is that HP can't reliably build these machines. My personal track record is three duds in a row (e9180t w/i7 920). Their tech support has not been able to offer any help that actually worked; it's got to be some sort of manufacturing problem with these systems.
m
l
September 29, 2009 4:39:41 PM

I bought a e9150t system from HP at the beginning of September. I have had zero probelms with it so far. I leave my PC running 24/7 and it has not locked up, BSOD, etc. It seems that there was a bad run of motherboards, but only a small percentage of the systems were affected.

I found it really interesting to see that some of the people had trouble with 2-3 systems. I wonder if there was a certain HW combination, usage pattern, etc that was contributing to the problem.

I tell you, after using a PC that would barely run XP and locked up on a semi-regular basis this system is wonderful. I can play a game (HL2) with 2 users logged in, each with multiple programs running in background and not have any noticable slowdowns.
m
l
September 29, 2009 4:51:28 PM

Upendra09 said:
Go with HP, less problems later on and have better quality parts, and i have had a crappy experience with Dells

I concur, I've had 2 HP PCs in my house and no major problems. Just make sure they give you a good power supply, I had to replace mine to update my graphics card.
m
l
March 7, 2010 4:20:29 AM

I've had both and like you said, the fans are noisy and sound like a plane taking off. My XPS was a poor case design and overheated, poor customer service also. The E9150T I had built to my specs from Costco and it's great. Slightly overpriced but very nice and very reliable. If you have the knowledge and the time I suggest you build your own. I just finished my first build with a Cooler Master case, Asus P5N-D motherboard, OCZ 500w PSU, 2.66 mhz Core Duo, 8 gb of DDR3 and a EVGA 1mb GeForce card. I ended up with a great comp that I can adjust the clock speed for game play and is super quiet for $300 less than the Elite. Good luck
m
l
!