Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • LCD Monitor
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 25, 2008 1:06:22 AM

I saw this monitor on newegg and the price and the specs sound good. Does anyone have any experience with the monitor for gaming? Is there a better alternative for under $400?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec...

More about : sceptre x24wg 1080p lcd monitor

February 25, 2008 1:16:46 AM

I read a lot about that monitor, and as a matter of fact my research on that monitor changed my views and opinions on monitors in general. Though it sounds great on paper, from what I read it actually does not perform well. What I mean is that the monitor will not ghost at all, but the picture quality is pretty bad. My opinion is to just keep looking.
February 25, 2008 1:18:06 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I read a lot about that monitor, and as a matter of fact my research on that monitor changed my views and opinions on monitors in general. Though it sounds great on paper, from what I read it actually does not perform well. What I mean is that the monitor will not ghost at all, but the picture quality is pretty bad. My opinion is to just keep looking.

what do you suggest for under $400?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
February 25, 2008 6:02:22 AM

There are no 24" monitor worth getting under $400. You are already scrapping the bottom of the barrel. You'll need to spend about $450 to get something decent.

In my opinion there is no 24" worth getting unless you are willing to spend about $600+. Then again, I have some pretty high standards. However, people seem to like:

BenQ G2400W Black 24" 5ms - $400

Westinghouse L2410NM Black 24" 8ms - $410

SAMSUNG 245BW Black 24" 5ms - $420 after $50 mail-in rebate

February 26, 2008 12:17:02 AM

jaguarskx said:
In my opinion there is no 24" worth getting unless you are willing to spend about $600+. Then again, I have some pretty high standards. However, people seem to like:

Thanks to Jag in previous posts I agree, and he is also correct that the difference is large, but it is not worth taking out a loan for.

jaguarskx said:
SAMSUNG 245BW Black 24" 5ms - $420 after $50 mail-in rebate

You should by no means consider this monitor, my friend upgraded from a Samsung 22" to a Samsung 24", and even though the resolution was higher, the color quality and sharpness was much worse no matter what we both did, even RMA'd it. The BenQ is supposed to be a great monitor for a TN panel, and seeing as the cheapest non-TN panel 24" out there is $550 and does not come with a stand, that is a very good thing. Though I have never seen the BenQ up close, the reviews are very promising. If you want a great quality non-TN panel monitor for a great price then you can also go with the same monitor I have purchased:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 28, 2008 11:34:32 PM

The westinghouse is available at bestbuy for about 350 right now it is an mva panel and seems to be the best bang for the buck 24 inch monitor out that I can find currently colors seem much more vibrant than other monitors in this price range. I have not seen it in action for gaming so far but from most of the reviews I have read ghosting doesnt seem to be an issue. For general use it seems nice and is just about the only MVA panel other than the LG 24 that I can find in this price range currently. Im about to buy one myself hopefully it ends up being as good as it seems.
March 11, 2008 10:51:23 PM

I myself am looking for a good 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor for a sub $400 price, but my word, I'm really pushin the limits; poor picture quality, response time, connections etc. U may have to loosen your grasp on your wallet a bit and rang it to under 500 - 600 indeed. I'm open for suggestions as well.
March 11, 2008 11:01:03 PM

I myself am looking for a good 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor for a sub $400 price, but my word, I'm really pushin the limits; poor picture quality, response time, connections etc. U may have to loosen your grasp on your wallet a bit and range it to under $600. I know your budget is tight, but better to get something good now than to buy something crappy that U would regret purchasing later; after all, U r most liekly purchasing online and not from a store on the corner where U can view its real performance. I'm open for suggestions as well.
December 23, 2008 8:39:20 AM

I've owned this monitor for about a month now, and the good news is with DVI, it's a wonderful display. The bad news is, it's D-Sub analog input leaves a lot to be desired.

It's got two issues, but neither of which are a huge deal to me. The first is the sound. Don't bother. The speakers aren't worth even trying to use. I've got real speakers, so no biggie #1. The other issue, It's analog rendering engine it uses when you plug in a computer via 15-pin DSUB is horrible. The sharpness of text just isn't there, and the colors are generally washed out to white. Running the Ken Rockwell unsharp test image, the pixels actually seem to crawl down the image. That sugests I believe it's not locking on the pixel clock on the signal correctly. It lacks the kind of tonality and contrast I'd want for photography or graphic arts. I use the 15-pin analog interface though on my laptop for a second head, and it's tolerable for emails and general surfing. My wife doesn't notice any of the above issues when she uses it. I'm a stickler though.

Now, two bits of really good news. Mine had zero dead pixels, and that seems to be the norm from what I've seen in Newegg reviews. The other pleasant surprise, is this thing renders a DVI signal flawlessly. The image is sharp, and the Rockwell unsharp test displays flawlessly. In addition, this turned out to be the easiest monitor to calibrate I've ever owned. Ten quality minutes with my Spyder 2 had the color pinned down, with a delta UV (how far off pure white) of only .030. To put it into perspective, an apple cinema 30" averages .020 delta UV. I have a CRT that calibrates to .009 when I want to do a final check and color adjustment.

Another pleasant bonus is I can switch between my desktop and laptop inputs with a pushbutton. My desktop is graphic critical and uses DVI. My laptop input is analog D-SUB is mostly corporate use, and the monitor is a second display for email and such.

So, the bottom line, get a good set a of speakers and ignore the on-boards, and only use DVI and it's native resolution for the highest quality image. In DVI, it's very usable for photo editing, and games look great on this monitor. Overall I'm very happy with it. You're mileage my vary, but it worked out perfectly for me, and I'm considering getting one or two more soon.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2009 1:49:17 AM

I purchased two of these monitors for my wife and son for christmas from microcenter. My son built his computer from components we purchased from newegg (Quad core intel, 4 gb dual channel, very high-end asus motherboad and 1 gb NVIDIA 9500 series graphics engine). His old NEC pro series analog 19" montor was great with his games, but he says (he's 17 years old) that this one blows the doors off it!!! His games are mostly action type (don't know all the names) and he says this thing is awesome, color is great, the rendering is wonderful and the response time appears as good as the nec analog monitor. My wife doesn't require the games but does watch HD movies - she loves it. Both use the DVI ports. I can't really say that these are bad or even average, but from what I've seen around the house from both runing totally different apps - can't see where any of the ones in the store that I've seen or researched are any better, in fact they seemed worse. Samsungs were OK, viewsonic (daugther has that one is prettry good), asus and the dells we have at work don't look anywhere close to these. The one thing I noticed about the SCEPTRE X24WG was that is was very bright, the blacks are really black and the colors are exceptonal. I'd say if you have a desire to spend more than the $250 for a X24W - go ahead if you just like to spend money for something that wouldn't make a rats difference.
March 20, 2013 4:06:43 PM

I have 3 Sceptre X24WG monitors and run eyefinity, play all the newest and some older games. I have had NO issues. They are Great!
So, there you have it. No issues and they work great. What else do you want out of a 24 inch. It runs HDMI, DVI, DP to DVI works, and VGA if you want. I have only used HDMI, and DVI with my second Radeon. I went from the XFX 5870 to a new Asus HD 7970, and hey, lifes good!!
!