Sign in with
Your question

Entry Point Not Found. Can't Run Programs

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 20, 2012 7:10:02 PM

My dad's computer is failing for some reason. Originally, I had it running on 32 bit but after a couple of updates it failed to boot continuously even after a chkdsk and startup repair. So I formatted it two more times with both times eventually failing to boot again.

I reformatted again, but this time using 64 bit. Now there is a entry point not found on startup at the desktop. If I try to run an application like Firefox, a form of entry point not found message shows up, and it won't run

I have tried sfc /scannow in command prompt, and it said that some files were unable to be repaired. chkdsk didn't find anything wrong. Do you think it's a bad hard drive?

Mobo/CPU: MSI E350IS-E45 M1 E350 R
SSD: Patriot RF32GS25SSDR
RAM: Kingston 4GB (unsure of exact model)
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 7:21:23 PM

Without the complete text of the error messages we're only guessing here.

My first guess: Since sfc was unable to correct errors I suspect a virus has entered the system.

Second: I'd wager that you only ran "chkdsk /f". Try again with "chkdsk /f /v /r". This will not only check the file system and files but will also scan for bad blocks. After the scan completes you'll see a status display. Look at the line "X KB in bad sectors". If X is anything other than 0 the drive is failing and should be replaced ASAP.
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:31:58 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Without the complete text of the error messages we're only guessing here.

My first guess: Since sfc was unable to correct errors I suspect a virus has entered the system.

Second: I'd wager that you only ran "chkdsk /f". Try again with "chkdsk /f /v /r". This will not only check the file system and files but will also scan for bad blocks. After the scan completes you'll see a status display. Look at the line "X KB in bad sectors". If X is anything other than 0 the drive is failing and should be replaced ASAP.

Here's the CBS.log file from the sfc scan:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qcchpn6cav1xhdc

I ran chkdsk /f /v /r, and saw that there were some bad clusters before in booted up. I'll try out a different hard drive later today. Thanks
m
l
!