Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new decent sized laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 21, 2009 5:31:05 AM

Hello THG members. I am in the market for a new laptop and I would like to ask for your suggestions as to which laptop I should buy.

1_What is your budget?
Below $800. Lower is better, since I don`t want to spend that much after just buying a $2000 gaming desktop two weeks ago.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12" - 15" or 16“ The keyboards on laptops below 12" are just too small for me to type fast on (a requirement), and I wouldn`t want it to get too large because I`ll have to carry it around lots.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Don't care.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Definitely portable. It will be moved around a lot.

5_How much battery life do you need?
8 hours preferable, 4 minimum

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I have a desktop for games. :D  An integrated graphics chip is fine.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Pretty much just surfing the web and Microsoft Office-type things.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Anything is fine.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
N/A

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 4 years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
This laptop will be hauled between home and University (and around them) every day, so I`d like something very durable. I`m also tend to keep a lot of things open at the same time, so I would really like a dual core.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Please note that I can get a discount on Dell laptops through my University. I am unsure of how large the discount is, but it`ll likely just be a small discount.

13_What country do you live in?
Canada.

More about : decent sized laptop

August 21, 2009 8:54:32 PM

Anybody?
Related resources
August 23, 2009 6:33:56 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, and it does appear to be very good for the money, but just adding in windows puts it over my budget. Are there any cheaper laptops you recommend?
!