Sign in with
Your question

need some suggestions on RAM

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 11, 2005 8:53:28 AM

Hi all, I ned some help with selecting the right memory for a system i'd like to build. Will be mostly (90%) gaming, so i wanna build accordingly. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Asus A8V-E deluxe mb w/ AMD64 3200 939 90nm cpu
ATI x850 xt platinum edition pci-e
Forton Source ax 500 a psu (thanks to crashman for that suggestion)
Enermax CS-5271 LBFS-B case w/ a Thermaltake a2016 blue LED case fan for a front intake mount and 2 Thermaltake A1357 case fans for the case rear for exhaust

I'm totally new to this, but i have some buddies that can help with the build, and I have spent hours pouring over THG and some other sites for advice and reviews. Heck, any suggestions at all would be welcome; the asus site qvl list for memory is, as several people have pointed out, pretty poor. I've heard a few names tossed around here patriot, crucial, etc. What i want is good stability, some oc potential, and some suggestions between $150 to $200 US for a pair of matched 512 sticks. Not sure what the chances are that something i buy that isn't on the qvl list won't work, hopefully slim. Any help at all would be great. Thanks peeps :smile:

More about : suggestions ram

February 11, 2005 8:03:00 PM

Take a look at this list:
http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=33&a=5025

Stay away from "generic" or "house brand"

I would give Crucial or Kingston highest priority, since you mentioned quality.

It is important that you buy memory from a reputable source. Else, you might find a deal that is "too good to be true"
!