Gateway NV59 Questions

keylo99

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I recently bought the Gateway NV59. it has the core i5 processor 430m 4gb of memory and the intel hd graphics. It also says it has a dvd-super multi dl drive. heres some of my questions.

the cd drive that it has, does it by any chance have lightscribe, i dont know how to find out. also can i copy my dvds onto the computer and then onto a blank dvd.

also, the cd drive itself doesnt slide out like a regular computer. you have to pull it out and then push the cd down.and then you have to pull it off, but is it sopossed to be like that. im used to just setting the cd in the tray, i feel like i might break the cd.

also, ive had bad luck with viruses. whats the best free program to stop viruses. i have avast and a 60 day trial of norton. i went to a website and avast said id get a virus so i didnt go on it but norton didnt say anything.

last 2 questions. Is it illegal to download torrents from sites like pirate bay if you own the actual cd. and is there any sites that are safe, ive had bad luck with websites like that before. but if its illegal i dont want to do it. i just want copys of my games because i feel like it might break.

keylo99

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

also it has been running quite slow since i 1st bought it. probably because of the games but can i do anything to make it go faster.

alouis6

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

OK here goes. It is illegal to make copies of DVDs. You are however allowed to make 1 personal back up of a flick you have purchased the DVD of. That being said, a gereat source of really awesome virus files and maleware comes from such sites that include but are not limited to Limewire, Morpheus, Ares, Kazaa and all of its various lots, Bearshare, then there are the torrent downloaders like e-mule, bittorrent, and all their clones. If you want to be safe and get music, use Walmart.com and get your tunes for 96 cents, or buy an itunes card. There is still Napster- it offers a one price per month down load and allows all the tunes you want on an mp3 if you purchase a compatable mp3 unit. I believe rhapsody offers the service too as well as cell providers like Verizon. Besides, if you own the CD, why are you downloading the torrent?

Virus files? Here are a couple of suggestions: Panda Cloud- there is a free version, Avg 2011 free. Just be aware, if you have a badly infected machine, then you need to clean it prior to installing the antivirus. Try Malwarebytes ( malwarebytes.org) and the old reliable spybot search and destroy- make sure you get the exact name.
Another thing to try- defrag your hard drive. it does make a very big difference. If you still have issues, then try posting in a different place. Also, please check your hard drive, the pc wont run well if you have less than 25% of the hard drive free.
:pt1cable:
I cant tell you if you have a light scribe burner- please go the the manufacturers website and look at the oem specs for the pc.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pt1cable.gif