How to store all Windows & Office settings on a removable ..

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Hello
How to store all Windows, Office and program settings on a removable USB
HDD, so I would be able to work with the same settings on two Windows XP with
the removable USB HDD connected?

Dima wrote:
> Hello
> How to store all Windows, Office and program settings on a removable USB
> HDD, so I would be able to work with the same settings on two Windows XP with
> the removable USB HDD connected?

Use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" found under Accessories
System Tools

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks for your reply.
I meant, how to configure Windows, Office and programs to store their
settings on my removable USB HDD always, so I would be able to work with the
same settings on two Windows XP with my removable USB HDD connected? How to
make Windows store my windows profile in Documents and Settings folder on my
removable USB HDD?
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
> > Hello
> > How to store all Windows, Office and program settings on a removable USB
> > HDD, so I would be able to work with the same settings on two Windows XP with
> > the removable USB HDD connected?
>
> Use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" found under Accessories
> System Tools

Malke

Dima wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> I meant, how to configure Windows, Office and programs to store their
> settings on my removable USB HDD always, so I would be able to work
> with the same settings on two Windows XP with my removable USB HDD
> connected? How to make Windows store my windows profile in Documents
> and Settings folder on my removable USB HDD?
> "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
>

>> Dima wrote:
>> > Hello
>> > How to store all Windows, Office and program settings on a
>> > removable USB HDD, so I would be able to work with the same
>> > settings on two Windows XP with the removable USB HDD connected?
>>
>> Use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" found under Accessories
>> System Tools

What you're really talking about is using roaming profiles whereby you
will have the same profile at any computer to which you log on.
However, you can only use roaming profiles in a domain environment
where there is a server. If you have this environment, ask your IT
dept. to help you.

You won't be able to do what you want because all the registry entries
are on the installation hard drive and are called from there. You can't
install Windows on a USB removable hard drive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Why cannot I install Windows on a USB removable hard drive?

"Malke" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > I meant, how to configure Windows, Office and programs to store their
> > settings on my removable USB HDD always, so I would be able to work
> > with the same settings on two Windows XP with my removable USB HDD
> > connected? How to make Windows store my windows profile in Documents
> > and Settings folder on my removable USB HDD?

> >> Use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" found under Accessories
> >> System Tools
> >>

> What you're really talking about is using roaming profiles whereby you
> will have the same profile at any computer to which you log on.
> However, you can only use roaming profiles in a domain environment
> where there is a server. If you have this environment, ask your IT
> dept. to help you.
>
> You won't be able to do what you want because all the registry entries
> are on the installation hard drive and are called from there. You can't
> install Windows on a USB removable hard drive.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Dima wrote:

> Why cannot I install Windows on a USB removable hard drive?

Because the operating system wasn't written that way. When you install
an operating system, it looks at all the hardware in the machine on
which you install it. With XP when you move a hard drive with an
installed XP to a different computer, you must perform a Repair
Installation at the very least. So you can see how an installation of
the operating system on a removal device would not work.

You haven't told us if you are trying to have the same profile on your
own home computers, many computers at work, computers where you "float"
from different offices, or what. If you are only talking about having
the same profile on your home computers, use the File & Transfer Wizard
to set things up identically as was already suggested to you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Because Windows was not designed to run from a USB removable hard drive.

Dima wrote:

> Why cannot I install Windows on a USB removable hard drive?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>

>>Dima wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for your reply.
>>>I meant, how to configure Windows, Office and programs to store their
>>>settings on my removable USB HDD always, so I would be able to work
>>>with the same settings on two Windows XP with my removable USB HDD
>>>connected? How to make Windows store my windows profile in Documents
>>>and Settings folder on my removable USB HDD?

>>What you're really talking about is using roaming profiles whereby you
>>will have the same profile at any computer to which you log on.
>>However, you can only use roaming profiles in a domain environment
>>where there is a server. If you have this environment, ask your IT
>>dept. to help you.
>>
>>You won't be able to do what you want because all the registry entries
>>are on the installation hard drive and are called from there. You can't
>>install Windows on a USB removable hard drive.
>>
>>Malke
>>--
>>Elephant Boy Computers
>>www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>"Don't Panic!"
>>MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks for your reply, Malke.
I'm trying to have the same profile on my own home computer and on my
computer at work.
Using the File & Transfer Wizard sets things up identically at a certain
point in time only. It does not keep the things synchronized.
What do you mean by "floating" from different offices?
"Malke" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
>
> > Why cannot I install Windows on a USB removable hard drive?
> >

> Because the operating system wasn't written that way. When you install
> an operating system, it looks at all the hardware in the machine on
> which you install it. With XP when you move a hard drive with an
> installed XP to a different computer, you must perform a Repair
> Installation at the very least. So you can see how an installation of
> the operating system on a removal device would not work.
>
> You haven't told us if you are trying to have the same profile on your
> own home computers, many computers at work, computers where you "float"
> from different offices, or what. If you are only talking about having
> the same profile on your home computers, use the File & Transfer Wizard
> to set things up identically as was already suggested to you.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Dima wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Malke.
> I'm trying to have the same profile on my own home computer and on my
> computer at work.
> Using the File & Transfer Wizard sets things up identically at a
> certain point in time only. It does not keep the things synchronized.
> What do you mean by "floating" from different offices?

I meant whether or not you travelled to different branch offices of your
company and wanted the same profile there. If you have a domain at
work, you should talk to your IT Dept. about doing roaming profiles.
They can also help you with synchronizing your data.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks for your reply.
I do not travell to different branch offices of my company. My home computer
is not in a domain at work. My IT Dept. cannot help me with synchronizing my
data.

"Malke" wrote:

> Dima wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply, Malke.
> > I'm trying to have the same profile on my own home computer and on my
> > computer at work.
> > Using the File & Transfer Wizard sets things up identically at a
> > certain point in time only. It does not keep the things synchronized.
> > What do you mean by "floating" from different offices?
>
> I meant whether or not you travelled to different branch offices of your
> company and wanted the same profile there. If you have a domain at
> work, you should talk to your IT Dept. about doing roaming profiles.
> They can also help you with synchronizing your data.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Dima wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> I do not travell to different branch offices of my company. My home
> computer is not in a domain at work. My IT Dept. cannot help me with
> synchronizing my data.

Then I'm sorry, but if the people in control of your computer at work
won't help, you won't be able to synchronize your data at home with the
work computer.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Dima

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004

I changed membership of my work computer from our domain to a workgroup. I
will be able to synchronize my data at home with the work computer. But how?
How to know a real network path to a mapped network drive?