Error dialog on login

July 18, 2005 12:48:01 PM

I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:

"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
and then click Search."

I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : error dialog login

July 19, 2005 12:27:23 AM

balloniw wrote:

> I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
>
> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
> and then click Search."
>
> I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
> that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
> are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
> alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Rock" wrote:

> balloniw wrote:
>
> > I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
> >
> > "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
> > correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
> > and then click Search."
> >
> > I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
> > that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
> > are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
> > alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >

> Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.
>
> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock,

Thanks for the advice. I went through a number of the msconfig boot options
until I narrowed the problem down to an Intel wireless service. I am running
on a laptop with an integrated wireless card. The service is an EXE and I
can't find any references to explorer in the directory structure the EXE is
located (such as an INI file, etc.). My best guess is that there is a bad
registry entry this service is using.

I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
affect on my wireless connectivity!

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Related resources
July 19, 2005 7:35:37 PM

balloniw wrote:

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>balloniw wrote:
>>

>>>I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
>>>
>>> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
>>>correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
>>>and then click Search."
>>>
>>>I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
>>>that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
>>>are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
>>>alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
>>>
>>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>

>>Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.
>>
>>How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>>
>>How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>>

>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> Rock,
>
> Thanks for the advice. I went through a number of the msconfig boot options
> until I narrowed the problem down to an Intel wireless service. I am running
> on a laptop with an integrated wireless card. The service is an EXE and I
> can't find any references to explorer in the directory structure the EXE is
> located (such as an INI file, etc.). My best guess is that there is a bad
> registry entry this service is using.
>
> I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
> affect on my wireless connectivity!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bill

You're welcome Bill, glad you have it resolved, and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi Bill!

Same problem here: if I boot with enabled Intel wireless device I
receive the error. I did not get the error before upgrading to the new
Intel drivers for the WiFi device - I would grade down if they would
not a fix a problem I had before which has been of a major severity ;)
But I have not figured out WHICH service you disabled to make it
'work'. Any hints would be appreciated.

Btw: did you notice any effects to your wireless connectivity in the
meanwhil?

Thx.

yaan

> "balloniw" wrote:
> I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
> affect on my wireless connectivity!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bill
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:12:00 AM

Yaan, Rock and balloniw,

I am having a similar problem - could you please tell me which services
need to be disabled to fix this?

Cheers

Doug
August 2, 2005 12:37:53 AM

queanbeyan@hotmail.com wrote:
> Yaan, Rock and balloniw,
>
> I am having a similar problem - could you please tell me which services
> need to be disabled to fix this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Doug

Repost your issue with a complete description of your system, OS and
service pack leve, and a detailed description the problem including any
error messages verbatin. Saying your problem is "similar" to this
person's doesn't help much in trying to figure out the cause. Slight
differences can mean different solutions.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User