Error dialog on login

I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:

"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
and then click Search."

I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
6 answers Last reply
More about error dialog login

    balloniw wrote:

    > I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
    >
    > "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
    > correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
    > and then click Search."
    >
    > I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
    > that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
    > are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
    > alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" wrote:

    > balloniw wrote:
    >
    > > I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
    > >
    > > "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
    > > correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
    > > and then click Search."
    > >
    > > I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
    > > that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
    > > are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
    > > alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > >

    > Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
    >
    > How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
    >

    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock,

    Thanks for the advice. I went through a number of the msconfig boot options
    until I narrowed the problem down to an Intel wireless service. I am running
    on a laptop with an integrated wireless card. The service is an EXE and I
    can't find any references to explorer in the directory structure the EXE is
    located (such as an INI file, etc.). My best guess is that there is a bad
    registry entry this service is using.

    I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
    affect on my wireless connectivity!

    Thanks for your help.

    Bill

    balloniw wrote:

    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>balloniw wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am getting a popup the first time I login after a reboot of XP Pro SP2:
    >>>
    >>> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:518:1864,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>>correctly, and then try again. Tod search for a file, click the Start button,
    >>>and then click Search."
    >>>
    >>>I notice that it takes nearly a minute to complete my first login. During
    >>>that time I get the welcome screen and the notice that my personal setting
    >>>are being loaded. Shortly after (10 sec) I initiate the login, I hear an
    >>>alert tone; I assume that is the popup described above.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>

    >>Do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is causing the problem.
    >>
    >>How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
    >>
    >>How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
    >>

    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>

    > Rock,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. I went through a number of the msconfig boot options
    > until I narrowed the problem down to an Intel wireless service. I am running
    > on a laptop with an integrated wireless card. The service is an EXE and I
    > can't find any references to explorer in the directory structure the EXE is
    > located (such as an INI file, etc.). My best guess is that there is a bad
    > registry entry this service is using.
    >
    > I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
    > affect on my wireless connectivity!
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bill

    You're welcome Bill, glad you have it resolved, and thanks for posting back.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Bill!

    Same problem here: if I boot with enabled Intel wireless device I
    receive the error. I did not get the error before upgrading to the new
    Intel drivers for the WiFi device - I would grade down if they would
    not a fix a problem I had before which has been of a major severity ;)
    But I have not figured out WHICH service you disabled to make it
    'work'. Any hints would be appreciated.

    Btw: did you notice any effects to your wireless connectivity in the
    meanwhil?

    Thx.

    yaan

    > "balloniw" wrote:
    > I have disabled the service and the problem is gone. Now I need to see the
    > affect on my wireless connectivity!
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bill

    Yaan, Rock and balloniw,

    I am having a similar problem - could you please tell me which services
    need to be disabled to fix this?

    Cheers

    Doug

    queanbeyan@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Yaan, Rock and balloniw,
    >
    > I am having a similar problem - could you please tell me which services
    > need to be disabled to fix this?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Doug

    Repost your issue with a complete description of your system, OS and
    service pack leve, and a detailed description the problem including any
    error messages verbatin. Saying your problem is "similar" to this
    person's doesn't help much in trying to figure out the cause. Slight
    differences can mean different solutions.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Login Dialog Windows XP