What Did I Do Wrong!?

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
So I reformatted my SDD and installed windows 7 onto it with the backup recovery discs that I made with my comp, I have an ASUS

Everything seemed to go fine, I had my old HDD unplugged the whole time, loaded up windows 7 super fast (SSDs are awesome) and installed my nvidia drivers and chrome and then when I shut down, plug in my old HDD and boot up again, selecting the SSD as the thing to boot from, it starts to load windows (Starting Windows screen) then blue screens within a few seconds every time.

If I Unplug my old HDD it boots up just fine with the SSD, but as soon as I try and plug in the HDD also (Im gonna try and use this as a storage drive now) it just blue screens and restarts my computer.

If i plug in my HDD and boot off of that, it loads up my old windows like I had it before I reinatlled, but now if I go to Computer my SSD doesnt even show up, only my HDD is there as the C:/ drive

Is it an issue with there being 2 copies of windows for some reaosn? Should I reformat my HDD then try and boot off of the SSD with the both of them plugged in?

I'm lost, idk what is goin on. Im really new to messing around with hard drives

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Idc if I lose any thing I already backed up all my files, I just don't wanna ruin windows!

Now when I try and boot up off the sad it gives me 2 options to pick from

First one is (windows 7) Which just loads up my old install off my hdd for some reason

Second is (windows 7 recovered) which gets passed the welcome screen but I can do anyhting it just has 1 error msg saying, c windows system 32 userenv.DLL is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error

Why can't I even see my SSD when I boot up off my hdd anymore :/

I'm gonna reformat my hdd I guess?

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Ok I tried reformatting it, it said it was in use are u sure, I said ya, now it said my c drive was completely empty except.for 1 folder, users

When I try to boot up I select the sad but its like still trying to boot from my old one saying windows failed to start immediately

If I choose the windows 7 recovered option I just get a blank blue screen after it "prepares dear friend desktop"

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I don't need any files off either. Evrything I need in on an external

I want to make my 250gb sad be the boot drive and my 1tb hdd be aa storage

After reformatting the hdd I can't even get to a desktop now even with the hdd unplugged

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
boot from CD with both drives hooked up. There's an advanced option and it should give you a graphic with all your logical and physical drives displayed. Delete all your volumes so you only have two physical drives. Make sure AHCI is selected in BIOS and install Windows on your SSD.

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

How?

If someone could give me a like simple few step process to completely wipe out both my hard drives and just install windows onto the ssd I'd donate my left nut to you.

I'm not sure if I'm using the right CDs?

I have disc 1 2 3 of ASUS System recovery and I have one labled windows 7 Asus backup disc, when I pop in disc 1 of the recovery it says like select a drive and my ssd is the only one, but it says PARTITIONS: 2

Am I even using the right discs

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I don't thin its the actalu windows 7 disk, it's just a system recovery like save point I made onto 3 discs?

I found where u could see my drives and both were empty

I really don't know what to do now :(

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I made system recovery discs and just put them in with my hdd unplugged and installed it that way, Its prevuilt yea, Asus cq series

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I reinstalled win7 again to my ssd and when it goes to starting windows it just blue screens everytime

But if I simply unplug my old hdd it boots up just fine, I don't get it :((

Anyone know what's causing this??

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
mbhndd.png

Everything is working OKAY right now, I have just my SSD plugged in and windows is up and running super fast..

Now what's my next step..?

If I shut down and plug in my HDD also it seems to get all messed up and stuff stops working, should I try Unplugging my SSD and only putting my HDD in, system restoring that, then like completely wipe it? or then plug them both in?

jtenorj

Distinguished
Hey samwow, it's jtenorj. Sorry about the trouble you are having. I feel kind of responsible. I almost hate to
suggest this, but is your mobo bios up to date? Perhaps a newer version/the latest version may do something
to alleviate your troubles. You want to see about backing up your current bios though, so you can flash it over an
update if the update makes things worse. Do you have a usb thumb drive with a quick and dirty linux distro
geared toward finding and fixing problems? Maybe you can just save your bios to the external and downgrade it
from there if you have troubles with a new bios(all this moot if you have a recent or the latest bios for your mobo).

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I'm afraid to do anything now cause it's up and working off my SSD, I dont see why just plugging in my HDD even though I select to boot from the SSD messes it all up :/

Is it something wrong with the HDD itself maybe?

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
That's the only way to get rid of the partition?

I don't see why it wont just boot up with the new windows off the SSD when I select it yaknow?

What kind of coorder to I need to hook up a HDD externally through USB?
ty for the help