I somehow split my hard drive (into C: and D Can I undo ..

July 18, 2005 1:50:03 PM

I am using windows xp SP2

I re-installed windows and re-formated the hard drive. Somehow Now my
computer has split up the hard drive into two drives. The C drive and the D
drive. I have not added another hard drive or anything like that.
My C drive is where all of the windows componets are on. I can save/open
files from the C and D drive just like normal.
I can live with themm being seperate, but is there any way I can combine
them into one drive?!?!

Thanks for all of your help.

More about : split hard drive undo

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:32:02 PM

You now have the opprotunity to dual-boot but reinstall windowsxp and create
a new partition and delete the other. Or purchase partition magic and it
will help.
"lostandconfused" <lostandconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7F27020E-5A40-4A9F-AAD6-89CB0A2A1433@microsoft.com...
>I am using windows xp SP2
>
> I re-installed windows and re-formated the hard drive. Somehow Now my
> computer has split up the hard drive into two drives. The C drive and the
> drive. I have not added another hard drive or anything like that.
> My C drive is where all of the windows componets are on. I can save/open
> files from the C and D drive just like normal.
> I can live with themm being seperate, but is there any way I can combine
> them into one drive?!?!
>
> Thanks for all of your help.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:45:33 PM

wrote in message

>I am using windows xp SP2
>
> I re-installed windows and re-formated the hard drive. Somehow
> Now my
> computer has split up the hard drive into two drives. The C
> drive and the D
> drive. I have not added another hard drive or anything like
> that.

The C: drive and D: drive are called "partitions."

> My C drive is where all of the windows componets are on. I can
> save/open
> files from the C and D drive just like normal.
> I can live with themm being seperate, but is there any way I
> can combine
> them into one drive?!?!

No version of Windows or DOS has ever had the ability to change
the partition structure of a drive without losing all the data on
it. To do so requires the use of a third-party program. Partition
Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
shareware/freeware alternatives. One shareware product that gets
good reports from several MVPs (although I haven't used it
personally) is Bootit Next Generation.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!