Want to rebuild a pc but not sure where to start..

Status
Not open for further replies.

murderdolly666

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hello, First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've been given an eMachines 620 pc (I'll state specs in a moment) as I don't have a computer and am wondering if anyone can help me work out what I should upgrade on it. Generally, I would be using it for the internet like msn, watching anime online occasionally, most likely a little bit of gaming and storing music.

Currently it is:

Intel Pentium 4
2.8Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
512mb DDR Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
80 GB hard drive (Ouch.. That's nothing compared to most things nowadays xD)

I also ran Aida so I could find out more as I had no idea what motherboard it has.. It told me:
Motherboard name: Unknown
Motherboard chipset: Intel Springdale-G i865g

At the moment it's running Windows xp service pack 2 as well.

If anyone needs any more information about other specifications it has at the moment, please don't hesitate to ask. I wasn't really sure how much was necessary to state.

Thankyou, in advance to anyone that can be of assistance to me (Although I feel like a right noob :lol: )

murderdolly666

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
There isn't really a budget as such as I was just going to do it over a bit of time, as and when but I don't really want to do anything majorly expensive on it just yet.

Oh and I found out what motherboard it has, it's an Asrock Prescott 800 dual channel DDR 400

Since you just do a little gaming, you may be able to get away with just a hard drive and video card upgrade, and some added RAM.

You could upgrade to a PCIe video card, such as a radeon 4670, 4770, or 5770. They are all fairly reasonable HD video cards. This will likely also require a PSU upgrade.

An upgrade to at least 1GB of RAM would be helpful, specially if running Vista or Windows 7.

For ~ $55, you can get a 500GB Samsung spinpoint F3 hard drive. It's one of the quickest 7200 rpm hard drives available.

murderdolly666

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Ooh one more question if I may, If I do upgrade my graphics card and I do require a PSU upgrade; is there a particular wattage PSU that I would need? The one that's in there at the moment says the max output power is 350W.
Sorry for bothering you again xD

Avid001

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hi
ECS MCP61SM-GM Mainboard is what i got just wanted to know what lastest cpu i could run in this media pc i got thanks Current CPU: Athlon 64 i know it takes 940pin just not sure which one its AM2. Thanks :??:

You should start your own thread for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.