When installing windows 7 64 bit from the installation cd its prompts for a cd d

Durtybirds

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to install windows 7 64 bit and the OEM install CDROM is now asking for a Driver for the TS-H653F 16X DVD+/-RW SATA HH. I found the firmware upgrade for dell but that is an exe and windows cant find the driver

are you doing a fresh install booting from a DVD? or are you doing something else.

Win7 (or any version for that matter) has a standard generic CD/DVD driver that is used during the install process, you should not need one specific to your CD drive.

Durtybirds

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
you would need to run the EXE to extract everything, and then find the INF or DLL file for your CD drive. The trick of course is that an EXE will only run under windows, and if it is a 64bit driver then the installer will pitch a fit unless you are running it on a 64bit windows install... which winXP is not.

As stated above, DVD burners are typically $20 or less, so that is probably the simplest route to take.

I hate to ask, but is this a hack copy of win7? I have been at this for a very long time and the only time I ever had issue installing Windows via a CD drive was when I was installing win98 on my first build, and I had to boot doss from a floppy that had my CD driver, to load a generic AHCI driver, to then be able to run my install disc because my mobo did not have a native boot from CD option lol.

And even then, Windows did not need it, the motherboard needed it.

Durtybirds

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
No tihs is an OEM Windows 7 64 bit w/SP1 i bought from new egg yesterday.

I ran unzipped the download. there is only a bin file and a setup.exe. No INF or sys files. I ran the setup on my windows vista 32 bit machne. Your correct windows did pitch a fit. Where did it place the drivers at so i can find them. I didnt see anything new in my windows/system32/drivers folder

rdc85

Honorable
Could u just make boot able USB installation flash disk from the win installation disk...

unplug / disconnect the optical drive

set to boot up from USB in BIOS

boot from USB installation flash disk, install OS

after OS installed and running, re connect / plug the optical drive

Update driver...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is turn around way.. but worth to try.

(cannot think any better solution)

1) RAID is for making multiple drives act like a single drive. This is not suggested unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

2) Whenever doing a new build, the first thing you do is to reset BIOS to load the defaults (or optomised defaults) in order to prevent issues like this.

3) You want your drives to be running in AHCI mode. If that is not available, then IDE will do. When in RAID mode, Windows will typically ask for a RAID driver in order to recognize your HDDs in order to proceed with the installation, not your CD drive.