Weird DHCP behavior

July 18, 2005 5:40:01 PM

I'm not sure if this is right news group, so sorry in advance if its not.

We have a printer that is setup to print via an Ip address on a small (less
than 50 users) network. The setup has not changed since we had Win2000 pro
on the workstations. When we upgraded to WIN XP pro all of a sudden the
printer did not start receiving the print job until about 75 seconds
elapsed, then after that time the printer would print normally. The printer
is set up with a fixed IP address 192.168.1.121 the subnet mask is
255.255.255.0. While trouble shooting this problem we set the printer up to
get an IP address from a DHCP server, suspecting we might have a network
problem. On our network we have a server set up as a DHCP server and its IP
address is 192.168.1.10 with same subnet mask as above, we expected that
server to assign an IP address to the printer, However, when we restart the
printer to use DHCP it gets an address 192.168.0.101 from DHCP server
192.168.0.88. We do not have such a network address on our network, we can't
even ping it from any of our computers.

Does anyone have any idea how we can find where or what this weird DHCP
server might be and how to make sure that it does not screw up our network?

Oh another thing, while we were using W 2000 Pro on the same workstations
with the same settings for finding the printer, the print jobs worked
flawlessly.

Any ideas about solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated,

RD

More about : weird dhcp behavior

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:40:02 PM

"RD" <bdufour@sgiims.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this is right news group, so sorry in advance if its not.
>
> We have a printer that is setup to print via an Ip address on a small
> (less
> than 50 users) network. The setup has not changed since we had Win2000 pro
> on the workstations. When we upgraded to WIN XP pro all of a sudden the
> printer did not start receiving the print job until about 75 seconds
> elapsed, then after that time the printer would print normally. The
> printer
> is set up with a fixed IP address 192.168.1.121 the subnet mask is
> 255.255.255.0. While trouble shooting this problem we set the printer up
> get an IP address from a DHCP server, suspecting we might have a network
> problem. On our network we have a server set up as a DHCP server and its
> IP
> address is 192.168.1.10 with same subnet mask as above, we expected that
> server to assign an IP address to the printer, However, when we restart
> the
> printer to use DHCP it gets an address 192.168.0.101 from DHCP server
> 192.168.0.88. We do not have such a network address on our network, we
> can't
> even ping it from any of our computers.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how we can find where or what this weird DHCP
> server might be and how to make sure that it does not screw up our
> network?
>
> Oh another thing, while we were using W 2000 Pro on the same workstations
> with the same settings for finding the printer, the print jobs worked
> flawlessly.
>
> Any ideas about solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated,
>
> RD

There are no wireless access points in this mix are there? If so, make sure
they are ALL on the same network. You could have a wireless access
point/bridge misconfigured or picking up a neighboring wireless network.

Regards,

Carl
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:55:57 PM

Is there a separate router somewhere in the mix there.

!